Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jjc155

square or bar foam material for popper heads

Anyone know of a source for either square pieces or square bars of foam that I can use for popper heads? I like the Rainys blockheads but at $6 for 6 I think I can do it cheaper for myself. also I would like to play with shapes, sizes etc.

I tried at Joann's and other local craft/hobby stores and have struck out.

Thanks

J-

Go to the Dollar General or the Dollar Tree or Family Dollar and get some flip flops in your favorite color.

get some sheet foam and rubber cement glue the sheets together to the thickness you want then cut out the shape you want

yep was thinking about that, just trying to make it easier on myself. I like the flip flop idea.

J-

Go to the Dollar General or the Dollar Tree or Family Dollar and get some flip flops in your favorite color.

I second that idea.

get some sheet foam and rubber cement glue the sheets together to the thickness you want then cut out the shape you want

I second that idea too.

I do both.

Kirk

All of the above. Also, Hobby Lobby carries some EVA foam block letters that make good poppers. If you want thicker pieces, Yoga blocks will work. I found some at Walmart this week in the clearance aisle. 6X9, three inches thick, two for $9.00. If you want the really dense stuff, Sleazy Steve sells smaller blocks for around $2 apiece. He also sells some great tools for cutting and turning foam on a Dremel. You can also buy thicker sheet foam (6mm) online than you usually find in the craft stores. Lowe's carries some interlocking foam pads that are used in flooring - I haven't used them yet, but they look good.

BTW - if you decide you want to do hard poppers, it's hard to beat the material they make lobster buoys out of. I used to find them on the beach after storms, but I'd imagine somebody sells them.

Go to a 5 Below store and get this yoga (lol) thingy for 5 bucks! 6"x9"x3" rolleyes.gif

post-35846-0-75676500-1363704808_thumb.jpg

i like to use elmers spray adhesive and glue 2 mm or 6mm sheets together to make nice color combos

Nick that a good way to do it. Blk/chart stacked been a very productive color for me.

Go to a 5 Below store and get this yoga (lol) thingy for 5 bucks! 6"x9"x3" rolleyes.gif

attachicon.giffoam block.jpg

That looks like a good idea, I'll have to try it thanks!

Target has them in little bit bigger at 10 bucks a block.

AS soon as I get my band saw repaired I will be cutting into it.sad.png