Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyTieDad

spin cast rod for kids?

Hey all,

I bought my oldest (age 6) a fly rod a few years ago and though I'll keep teaching her to use it I want to get her and sister a couple of nice spin casters to just do some bobber fishing.

Any suggestions on a rod and reel that will last more than one season?

Thanks,

FlyTieDad

Not sure what brands translate across the water but the Shakespeare brand, owned I think by Pure Fishing make good cheap kit. Not cheap that it is useless but good honest stuff that works.

I also have a lovely 5.5ft southbend rod but that was brought a good few year back, rated for 8lb-12lb line and is a lovely little rod.

Finally I have seen (and brought one) a blackrock rod. These were not expensive and seem very good. Certainly coped with some hard fighting sea fish so should be ideal for trout or bass.

The Rhino rod/reel combos are pretty bullet proof. I would recommend teaching them on an open face spinning reel, though. Internal mechanism spin cast reels are prone to line twist problems. I never liked them. Spinning reels, you can see the line, make sure it's not twisted, looped, etc.

Just my opinion ... I guess people have used spin cast reels for ever and like them ... just not me.

I have not looked at them in a long time but for children if they are still made you cannot beat the Ugly Stik by Shakespeare. They are pretty much indestructible then match that with a mid line Shimano or other reel of choice. I used the Ugly Stik for years before I started building my own and never had a problem. This is just my opinion but they have very good action and I never had one break even with the kids putting them through a lot of abuse.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this