Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
andy.larkin

Caddis Attractor, "Edible Arrangement"

This is my first post on FTF, and definitely will not be my last. I thought I would share a favorite spring trout pattern "step by step" to start things off.

This is an extremely productive attractor pattern, tied using a blend of synthetics that when wet give it an absolutely irresistible fishiness in the water. I've been having a serious love affair the past few years with Senyo's Laser dub as it's semi translucent iridescence and overall versatility for everything from small nymphs to big model airplane sized steelhead and pike flies cannot be beat! The collar on this pattern, consisting of CDC and SLF squirrel dubbing gives the fly some added movement making it incredibly active in the water.
Screenshot2013-03-15at81547PM_zps90b59fd
Andy's Edible Arrangement
Hook: Hanak H450 (or 400) Size 10-12
Bead: 4mm Tungsten
Thread: UTC 140 Fl. White (I do tie these with Fl. Orange as well for hot spot collars..)
Body: Medium Amber V-Rib
Underbody: Medium Mirage opal tinsel/flashabou
Rib: White Senyo's Laser Dub, trimmed in dubbing loop
Thorax: Black CDC and SLF Spikey Squirrel Dubbing
Place a size 10 Hanak Competition H450BL jig hook with 4mm slotted tungsten bead in your vice, starting the tying thread just behind the bead.
IMG_0696_zps4e3fa1d8.jpg
Make evenly spaced wraps towards the bend, and create a dubbing loop. Tie the loop down, allowing it to hang off the back and return your tying thread to the front of the fly. (line your last thread wrap covering the loop up with the eye of the hook).
IMG_0697_zps9c402482.jpg
IMG_0699_zpsd1978451.jpg
Tie in a length of Medium AMBER Vinyl Ribbing, flat side down (be sure to leave about 1/4 inch behind the bead for the thorax.
IMG_0703_zps5bfea7a6.jpg
Next, tie in some Mirrage tinsel. I do this by tying it in by the tip at the front, doing open wraps to the rear of the fly with the tinsel, then once again back to the front in even wraps to create a nice uniform underbody.
IMG_0704_zpsb4b9755b.jpg
IMG_0709_zpse458829f.jpg
Wrap your V-rib body now forward, tying it off at the original tie in point (ensure the flat side stays down!)
IMG_0710_zps985ba8ff.jpg
Next, select a clump of white Senyo's Laser Dub. Using your fingers, pull the fibers to even them out.
IMG_0712_zpsdd8f7ee3.jpg
Cut your clump of nicely evenly spaced dubbing into 1/3 to 1/2 inch lengths and place them in the dubbing loop. Space them evenly (and sparsely), then using your dubbing hook, twist the loop to create a dubbing rope.
IMG_0713_zpsa5d51a8f.jpg
IMG_0714_zps91c25efb.jpg
Now, wrap the dubbing rope forward allowing it to sink into each of the segments of the vinyl ribbing and give it a brush out with your dubbing teaser to loosen any stray fibers.
IMG_0716_zps781f3ddb.jpg
Next (we're almost there..), select a CDC feather. I really like the Petit Jean select CDC feathers for this.. Cut about a 1 inch length of stem + fibers (from the middle of the feather) with long, even fibers and place itto the side.
IMG_0719_zps5df9b4d7.jpg
Split your tying thread using a dress pin or dubbing hook.
IMG_0724_zps19229cb7.jpg
Place the 1 inch length of CDC feather in the split thread, as well as some SLF Spikey Squirrel Dubbing (Sparsely, allowing the fibers to be distributed evenly beneath it.).
IMG_0726_zps241fa9f8.jpg
Trim the stem leaving only the fibers in the split thread loop. Now pinch your thread beneath the dubbing in your left hand and give your bobbin a quick spin. Holding the thread at a 90 degree angle, perpendicular to the hook bend will allow the bobbin to spin much nicer and the thread to twist much better. Pinch the tying thread just above the tip of your bobbin and slide your fingers up. This will cause the rest of the turns you've created by spinning the bobbin to be forward, locking everything in place nicely.
IMG_0727_zpsa49c0ccd.jpg
Now, stroke the CDC fibers back on the tying thread so they are facing towards the bend of the hook and begin wrapping your collar/thorax up to the bead.
IMG_0734_zpsea70d493.jpg
Tie off using a quick 3-4 turn whip finish, and give the thorax (and abdomen) a quick tease using a bodkin or soft dubbing teaser.
IMG_0738_zpsf3b37551.jpg
Now, drop the pattern into a cup of water and realize how this wet profile image does not do the fly any justice! (ha ha..)
IMG_0746_zps5a792516.jpg

What colors combinations and sizes do you fish for trout? I'd appreciate it.

For trout

Clear v-rib, tan laser dub

Clear v-rib, white laser dub

Chartreuse v-rib, white or tan laser dub

Amber v-rib, white laser dub

I tie them using medium v-rib for most 10-12, large for 8's, and small/midge for 14-16, but for the most part i stick with the 10-12's.

They work well on curved caddis hooks also (Hanak H300 specifically, go down a size if using tiemco or mustad c49's i.e. hanak size 10 = mustad size 8), but if you can get your hands on the Hanak H450BL jig hook, the open gape and shape accomodates these flies absolutely awesome.

This being said as well, if you cannot track down senyos laser dub, the uv pearl ice dubs work well as a substitute. I avoid using natural materials such as hares ear for the rib as you don't get that nice translucent appearence under water that i believe really adds to the fishiness of the fly.

Experiment with other colour combinations and different underbodies as well to match your local caddis flies.

I have this on my list to tie now. Thank-you very much for putting this STS together for us.

Andy - Superbly done! Wonderful tying and photography. I've bookmarked this pattern to give it a try. I hope to fish with this later this year. Thank you for taking the time to share the details. Much appreciated!

been tying em like for a few yrs and fish love em...

nice work