Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyFishin'Jam

Mahi Mahi and general competition gamefishing on the fly, leader etc..

Hey salty guys, needing some help here! Been invited out on a boat this coming weekend to join a big game fishing tournament, we are going a long way offshore trolling for Marlin but there are some FADS we are going to try and hit to do some light line class Mahi tagging and hopefully get in on the fly.

So 1st question is about leaders, i know the old Mahi has a set of teeth on him and thinking a length of 60lb bite tippet? Wire is banned. Also should i bother with a shock tippet? How do i knot the 60lb bite tippet or whatever to my leader? The size of fish out there right now is 10kg + bulls i heard.

Next is about flies, i am suspecting like a 1/0 or 2/0 Ep type streamer would be worth a throw. I got told they can be really finnicky at times, what sort of retrieve? Any tips? I know they will be hanging all around the flotsam.

Anyway any help as far as leaders would be kool! Here is the rules...Scroll down and you will see the 'fly section'.

http://www.gfaa.asn.au/html/GFAA10_Rules_and_Equipment.pdf

I will post some pictures of us hoisting trophies or wooden spoons next week...

*edit* this is what the comp is...

http://www.pgfc.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Hook-Up-13-03-15.pdf

A shock tippet, not to exceed 30 .48cm (12in) in length, may be added to the class tippet and tied to the lure . It can be made of any type of material, and there is no limit on its breaking strength .

It looks to me like you can use a wire bite tippet.

If not, 60 lb should be fine.

I've boated many on 30-50 lb mono with no issues.

A squid fly or long EP streamer would be a good start. Or a big crease fly or popper for top water. I wouldn't be afraid to go for a big hook in case you find a big bull or two. Maybe a 4/0 to 6/0.

Tease them as close as you can and do a quick bait and switch.

Best of luck and bring back some pictures to drool over.

If the water is clear I would go about #40 for the tippet. Dolphin don't really have brutally sharp teeth like wahoo and king fish. If you get one hooked on regular gear, leave it in the water and it will attract the school if the fish is in one. You will have them swarming the boat. Toss a little bit of chum or baitfish chunks (sardines, ballyhoo or whatever is in your area) out and they get into a frenzy to the point you could get them to hit a blank hook.

If you google shockleader knot UK sea fishing there are lots of vids on a very secure knot for joining thicker line to thinner. Be ideal for a bite tippet to leader.

I have never fished them on fly but have caught many on conventional gear. The colors that worked best for me were blue/yellow, white/pink and blue/white. I would tie up some streamers in the 6 inch range. As far as the hooks I would use 4/0 - 6/0 when you buy any pre-rigged bait it is always in that range. Like was said earlier if you get on on keep it in the water till another can be hooked. Make sure you have plenty of backing on your reel they run a lot but I always used 30# mono with no real problems.

Thanks very much for the tips everyone, just busy doing up a selection of IGFA leaders with bite tippet - have the crew briefing on Thursday night before we head way offshore...As the EP series are an easy tie for me i have been doing up a few of these...

http://www.epflies.com/estore/category/4746

Interesting to see if we can get them to take a fly, the game fishing club here has never done it so it could be some new ground for us here, any more tips taken! Also taking along the 'saltwater synthetic fly swap' flies with me, there is a rather large squid and a few nice EP's i think could be worth a try.

Also seems i need a pack of bigger hooks and serious seasick meds.

I have never thrown a fly at M..M... but they are one of the first salt fish that I read about many years ago in one of the Garcia fishing annuals. If I remember correctly the article indicated that they liked bright flies like red and yellow or such and I think they also recommended large poppers such as skipping bugs. It also indicated that in a school the others will chase the hooked fish and try to take the fly out of it's mouth. They made is sound like great fun. Be sure to give us a report. Have fun

Read through most of the material for background and, at a glance the rules you're operating under are almost the same as the IGFA uses (with the exception of tippet strength).

Now for the fun... Dolphin were made for fly rods -they'll attack and eat almost anything if they're fired up - or nothing at all if they're not hungry. For rods - I've taken them on gear as light as a 7 or 8wt, but your best bet is at least a 10wt rod with a floating or intermediate line (if you're expecting big mahi then you're going to want a 12wt - but that would seriously over-gun your for the much more common schoolie or less than 20lb fish....). My basic setup with a 10 wt would be a butt section of 50 or 60lb mono about five feet long spliced directly to the end of your fly line with nail knots (two in a row) and that connection carefully trimmed to that there's nothing to snag when you're pointblank on a big fish with your leader in the tip of the rod..... That butt section ends in a surgeon's loop large enough to allow you to pass the largest popping bug through that you're likely to use. The tippet/shock tippet portion of the leader would have another surgeon's loop on the tippet end and roughly 13 inches of bite tippet (or shock tippet) on the terminal end. NOTE, for record purposes the IGFA (and I imagine the Aussie version) counts any knots connecting the bite tippet to the class tippet as part of that 12" overall limitation.... I like 13" to start since you'll lose at least one inch just tying on the fly.....

Now for the flies, I'd use nothing larger than a 2/0 hook for that 10wt rod, if a 12wt is in use then maybe up to a 4/0 fly (but still not much longer than six inches overall). For fly colors keep them as bright or just plain dramatic as possible (look at the colors of the fish....). chartreuse and white, pink and white, electric blue are my starting points but ordinary bright yellow or plain white will get blasted as well...

I divide my dolphin selections as either streamers (a classic good sized Clouser on a 2/0 hook or smaller is hard to beat) or poppers. I fish the two bugs entirely differently... But first you'll need to be properly set up if most on board are doing conventional trolling or live baiting. You're going to want a five gallon bucket or other container for your rod and line. Strip out about fifty feet of line then strip it back into the bucket, stand your fly rod in the bucket as well and put the entire rig in a corner out of the way of everything else going on. You're only going to reach for it when there's hooked fish coming to the boat.... To get in on the action just pick up bucket, rod and all, and move to the right rear corner of the transom if you're right handed, the left side if you're a lefty..... pick up your rod and make your shot... On a center console or open boat you'll have to figure out where you can cast without being a problem for the others on board... The day will go downhill if you hook one of your buddies or yourself with a fly (ask me how I know....).

Now for the fishing... if you toss streamers try to get them as far from the boat as possible then race them back as erratically as possible. If a dolphin wants your fly it will never make it back to the boat.... For poppers it's a bit different. Lay out yout popper and raise hell without moving it much - usually that's all it takes on a hot bite. If the fish aren't hungry or race over and don't eat, then you need to switch gears and do a bit of teasing.... Take the bug away from any fish that won't eat it (no stripping just yank the bug out of the water, making a big pop....). Immediately toss it right back then yank it away from any fish that approaches... Do that a few times and you'll toss the bug back and it will get hit the moment it lands....

My standard tippet for dolphin that aren't big ones is 20lb hard Mason spliced to 40lb fluoro bite tippet. Bigger fish I'd use that same 20lb tippet and a 60lb bite tippet. Be very reluctant to use the heavier bite tippet since it will cut down on the number of hits you get.....Here are some pics of the gear that I'd use....

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

post-30940-0-49859900-1363708591_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-84328400-1363708605_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-87212400-1363708633_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-34121300-1363708691_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-91067900-1363708739_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-09378300-1363708774_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-47497100-1363708816_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-64799900-1363708832_thumb.jpg

My arms twitching just reading that advice. You best hook something now Jam so we can all see the picture and feel we were there.

If you google shockleader knot UK sea fishing there are lots of vids on a very secure knot for joining thicker line to thinner. Be ideal for a bite tippet to leader.

My buddy and I do a lot of surf casting for sharks; I combined the shock leader knot and the Bob Sands knot and came up with this:

SBS - http://fishingexperts.la/expert-shock-leader/

I have been unable to break it and it has a nice low profile.

Read through most of the material for background and, at a glance the rules you're operating under are almost the same as the IGFA uses (with the exception of tippet strength).

Now for the fun... Dolphin were made for fly rods -they'll attack and eat almost anything if they're fired up - or nothing at all if they're not hungry. For rods - I've taken them on gear as light as a 7 or 8wt, but your best bet is at least a 10wt rod with a floating or intermediate line (if you're expecting big mahi then you're going to want a 12wt - but that would seriously over-gun your for the much more common schoolie or less than 20lb fish....). My basic setup with a 10 wt would be a butt section of 50 or 60lb mono about five feet long spliced directly to the end of your fly line with nail knots (two in a row) and that connection carefully trimmed to that there's nothing to snag when you're pointblank on a big fish with your leader in the tip of the rod..... That butt section ends in a surgeon's loop large enough to allow you to pass the largest popping bug through that you're likely to use. The tippet/shock tippet portion of the leader would have another surgeon's loop on the tippet end and roughly 13 inches of bite tippet (or shock tippet) on the terminal end. NOTE, for record purposes the IGFA (and I imagine the Aussie version) counts any knots connecting the bite tippet to the class tippet as part of that 12" overall limitation.... I like 13" to start since you'll lose at least one inch just tying on the fly.....

Now for the flies, I'd use nothing larger than a 2/0 hook for that 10wt rod, if a 12wt is in use then maybe up to a 4/0 fly (but still not much longer than six inches overall). For fly colors keep them as bright or just plain dramatic as possible (look at the colors of the fish....). chartreuse and white, pink and white, electric blue are my starting points but ordinary bright yellow or plain white will get blasted as well...

I divide my dolphin selections as either streamers (a classic good sized Clouser on a 2/0 hook or smaller is hard to beat) or poppers. I fish the two bugs entirely differently... But first you'll need to be properly set up if most on board are doing conventional trolling or live baiting. You're going to want a five gallon bucket or other container for your rod and line. Strip out about fifty feet of line then strip it back into the bucket, stand your fly rod in the bucket as well and put the entire rig in a corner out of the way of everything else going on. You're only going to reach for it when there's hooked fish coming to the boat.... To get in on the action just pick up bucket, rod and all, and move to the right rear corner of the transom if you're right handed, the left side if you're a lefty..... pick up your rod and make your shot... On a center console or open boat you'll have to figure out where you can cast without being a problem for the others on board... The day will go downhill if you hook one of your buddies or yourself with a fly (ask me how I know....).

Now for the fishing... if you toss streamers try to get them as far from the boat as possible then race them back as erratically as possible. If a dolphin wants your fly it will never make it back to the boat.... For poppers it's a bit different. Lay out yout popper and raise hell without moving it much - usually that's all it takes on a hot bite. If the fish aren't hungry or race over and don't eat, then you need to switch gears and do a bit of teasing.... Take the bug away from any fish that won't eat it (no stripping just yank the bug out of the water, making a big pop....). Immediately toss it right back then yank it away from any fish that approaches... Do that a few times and you'll toss the bug back and it will get hit the moment it lands....

My standard tippet for dolphin that aren't big ones is 20lb hard Mason spliced to 40lb fluoro bite tippet. Bigger fish I'd use that same 20lb tippet and a 60lb bite tippet. Be very reluctant to use the heavier bite tippet since it will cut down on the number of hits you get.....Here are some pics of the gear that I'd use....

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

This is just awesome! I think i am going to stay up late tonight and just prerig a few things, i also just picked up a rio 'leviathan' line and made the loops nail knotted with 2 knots and some goo. I might take that advice of a really heavy back section just nail knotted straight on, so i should get the clippers out and start again. Wondering if i should have got a clear tip intermediate or will this be okay?

Have two rods, an 8 and a 10...Now with the 8 i don't have too much trouble casting the 1/0 and 2/0 flies, i heard the bulls can get up to a 15KG size but if i am running for points and using a light leader then it's not much strain on the rod so it could be okay if there is not much wind?

That bucket set-up idea sounds like the business, i know it is going to be chaos on the boat and i really needed all this help, if i get sea sick i am not going to be wanting to tie leaders, don't want to get in the way either. Our basic plan of attack is hit the FADS really early and when they go down begin trolling for billfish all day.

Also i was pretty stupid today, looking for fluorocarbon and just grabbed a bunch without checking if it was test or igfa, ugh. I better go back tomorrow. Time to grab some ice cream and sit down and make sure everything is in order/ read your post a few more times, thankyou very much Bob!!!!

Get some scopalomine patches to put behind your ear and you wont get seasick. I dont get seasick and still use them occassionally. I was fishing for dorado (mahi mahi), tuna, and marlin in 9-11 foot swells all day. As I said I dont get seasick but I put a patch on that day. My buddy who said he was a diver and didnt need any patches ended up in the head all day and was puny the following day. I have fished in similar swells and not gotten sick but listening to someone else makes me very afraid of getting the "green." Good luck! Btw dorado makes my favorite fish taco. Dorado+remoulade+pickled slaw in a fresh tortilla=Amazing!

I only use fluoro for bite tippets (shock tippets) believing it to be a bit more abrasion resistant than standard mono. You can use almost any mono for fly tippets (for years and years we just used Ande clear or pink - then prayed that it wouldn't over-test). Hard Mason became a habit for salt fly tippets because many tarpon tournaments specified it for those participating and the fact that you can clear any coils or curls by simply pulling on the stuff and holding it for a moment to pre-stretch the leader before using (and standard fluoro is the same, thus no need for line stretchers ever again...). As you saw in the pics I actually tie up two leaders at a time, joined by a common double length shock tippet. These leader pairs are looped together to form a continuous chain of leaders. In use, you just pull off the top pair, cut the shock tippet in the middle and you have a ready made proposition. Tie on your fly, stretch the leader against a cleat or other fixed object for a moment, then you're ready to go.... The following pic shows several leader wheels, clearly marked wth various line sizes (tippet and shocker) so you can sort them out on the water. I do quite a bit of night fly fishing locally (Miami to Miami Beach) and it's very handy not to have to tie up leaders on the water....

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

post-30940-0-83398900-1363800689_thumb.jpg