Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wanderingmonk

adult salmon fly

this pattern is equally suited for salmon,steelhead or big trout...I have been trying to do this one for a while...I ended up using "swiss straw" for the segmented legs...it was a lot easier for me to tie that pheasant tail...if I could get one of those "legs on a stick" I would...and these would be better I think...but the material I used is OK...

IMG_4434copy_zps5206cd0f.jpg

the body is typical dubbing with a wire spiral wrap, I used Buffalo wool in brown...the wings are three piece...the base is a mallard back feather(the larger ones) tied mid section of the body, with two gadwall feathers over that...a turkey fan feather is used for the body case...and two sprigs are left on for the antenae after tying off...

IMG_4440copy_zpsccdf6d05.jpg
I bent its legs around for the pic...it really looks like its crawling...LOL...

I was swinging this fly around today on my 11 '6" bamboo 6 wt switch with a floating line...8ft furled leader and 6 feet of flouro greased to the fly...it did super...landing both ways...more times upright than not, imitating a fly laying eggs...it is relatively streamlined for such a big dry pattern...it looks pretty darn good floating...I will get some more pics later...because it started snowing again...and ended the time out on the water...

IMG_4436copy_zps3d68a88c.jpg

the bug ends up being two inches long nose to wing tip...the antennae are about 1 1/4" over that...

In Jim Schollmeyers book "hatch guide for western streams"(my bug book) , he tells about the egg laying habits of this fly...and says"anytime an adult salmon fly is on the water it is very vulnerable to predators"

sounds good to me! if I was a salmon or big trout I would give it a swipe...

the adult salmon fly emerges out west in april-july...and is a great pattern for some fun "big fly dry" fishing

size 2-6 down eye hook
buffalo wool dubbing(or similar)
.015 gold wire for spiral wrap on body
(1) large mallard back wing for wing base
(2) gadwall flanks for wings(waxed well)
turkey fan feather for body case and antennae

all the best...t

post-47700-0-74424700-1363634383_thumb.jpg

post-47700-0-46381100-1363634391_thumb.jpg

post-47700-0-73702200-1363634400_thumb.jpg

That is really good. When i first saw the fly i thought to my self. Where is the fly he tyed i only see a bug on the log. Very realistic nice job.

that is a very nice compliment...thank you...I have bee trying to use "organic" materials and make similar patterns with them...

...sun came out today...here are a few more pics...I am looking forward to fishing this one big time...a friend recomended fishing it with a dropper behind of either an emerger or nymph on maybe 24" of tippet...... sort of like a "hopper dropper" rig...since this bug floats well...

I doubt a summertime steelhead would resist...we will see...hopefully fish pics will be forthcoming...

here are a few more views...sunshine can make for some better pics...overall detail isnt as good...but highlights are much better...plus shadows...

salmonfly1copy_zpse2fbee34.jpg

when Salmon flies lay their eggs...they are very vulnerable ...and predators know exactly what they are...a lot of protein...

salmonfly4copy_zps5ee223a5.jpg

this bug was pretty soaked at this point(over a half hour of casting and landing in the water)...but still floated well...I really dig those antennae...I didnt even know they were still on ( after thity plus casts and retrieves)its when I put my camera on the computer I saw this myself...

salmonfly3copy_zps6083f879.jpg

I blew off the water and took one more shot before the sun started to get lower in the sky ...

I have been working on this bug for a few weeks...after the sedge bug I tied a little bit ago...extra sticky wax on the wing feathers was the best thing I did to help this one actually work for fishing......I am looking forward to trying some pheasant tail legs...a friend had pity and tied up a tails worth for me...

all the best...t

post-47700-0-79995500-1363739916_thumb.jpg

post-47700-0-73192100-1363739925_thumb.jpg

post-47700-0-57892100-1363739935_thumb.jpg