Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
feathers5

Coyote Patterns

What patterns can you tie with Coyote? I haven't seen many and I'm open to suggestions. I have a Coyote tail with which I once tied some Clouser minnows.

Thanks,

Bruce

use it anywhere you would use long squirrel tail, or similarly colored bucktail. Gives a different and very nice effect.

Makes for some of my best clousers but they can be used for anything your imagination allows.

Here is one I tied last year and some luck with it with some bass. I tied it on a jig hook at the time but can be tied on other hooks. It's just a marabou tail with some flash, the body & hair hackle are all coyote. I called it the "Coyote Ugly" :)

post-14555-0-04726800-1363733749_thumb.jpg

MIke

Here is one I tied last year and some luck with it with some bass. I tied it on a jig hook at the time but can be tied on other hooks. It's just a marabou tail with some flash, the body & hair hackle are all coyote. I called it the "Coyote Ugly" smile.png

post-14555-0-04726800-1363733749_thumb.jpg

MIke

Mickalo, I've only shot about 200 or so coyotes in 7 states so I haven't seen them all, but none of them wore feathers like the legs/hackle of your fly is made of.

your right there maybe a soft hackle tie in toward the front, I didn't write down the materials when I tied it, just had the pic. but I know for sure the body & hair at the head, mixed with the hackle, are coyote.

Mike

You can use it alot of times with or in place of buck tail. Here is a bendback that I have had a lot of luck on in the salt (link)