Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JSzymczyk

"Blob" fly, someone provide some intel?

I may be wrong but the booby was a pattern that was blobbed up(?!) as opposed to a blob that was boobied. The boobie users helped suspend their imitation nymphs /buzzers on a sunk line with a booby on point. But when the blobs were outfishing nymphs so much folk used boobies to suspend blobs, then logically make a blobby boobie.

Everything I read about the blob, and that's been quite a bit since I was in the swap mentioned earlier, says the blob is a stillwater pattern. I see no reason any river or tailwater with stocked trout and slower water shouldn't work. I definitely plan to put the ones I tied and will receive in the swap to work on the White River this year. The ones I tied I used 4-5 pieces of flashabou for the tail. I thought this looked more like an adult pellet trying to break free of the shuck.

Hmmm... that tail on the fly looks like a wonderful attempt to turn a yarn egg into something honorable. smile.png

Well it could be worse, it could be a yarn egg tied on a lead jig and called a "miracle fly".

::: shivers :::

I guess this sort of fly is like Riffle's blooby boobie girls, you just don't rush off tell anyone you fished them (no matter how well they worked out). I'm sure there is a tail waters pun in here somewhere.

smile.png

All flies are beautiful in their own way. Even ugly, shaggy flies with a bushy tail need love. I got some "Frizzle Chenille" in hot orange which I like very well for this purpose.