Fly Tying
McRad

Please help :)

Use the force Luke!

I'm not trying to be funny or make light of your plight but this is my point...all you need is practice and trust your instincts. In ten years of tying, I'm sure you've seen the technique demonstrated and heard and read instructions. You don't need any more instruction you need to practice. Get "the feel". Proper tension, even thread base, Yes it is technical but it is also an art and that is where "feeling" comes in. So I repeat: "Use the force!" Good luck

I hear you brother, hackles the only technique that I give up on before it happens for me. For me, when tying a new pattern, to get good i have to a dozen of them. By the end of 12 youve got the feel of the size and shape of the fly. Ive never made it to a dozen while hackling a dry lol :) the time has come!

I have a question for you McRad, are you tying for perfection or for the fish? I see nothing wrong with the hackles you have tied on as far as appearance. They are thicker than many I have seen tied, (the width from front to back) but fully functional. Are you trying to get the whole feather wrapped onto the hook? I'm no expert at tying flies, but I don't think you have to use the whole feather, sometimes less is more or better. Take tenkara flies as an example, usually only a few twists around the hook and that's it.

If you are tying for perfection, which I sometimes try to do, I get frustrated because my hands and fingers don't want to cooperate, or the materials have a mind of their own, or I don't employ the proper technique. In this case, I go to youtube and watch the experts and try to mimic how they do it (a lot of watch, rewind, watch rewind, tie along, rewind, double check the tyers technique vs mine) and then decide when enough is enough. I watch Davie McPhail and Dave Camiss videos which I find very helpful, there are some here on this site with helpful videos on you tube also.

I don't trout fish here in central Florida, mainly because we don't have them this far south that I can find. They may be more picky on what they take, I don't know. But I would think that if you offer those flies to a fish, they would take them.

Just my humble opinion (which means nothing), but I think they are sufficient quality to catch fish. I would be proud to have tied those.

Scott

I have a question for you McRad, are you tying for perfection or for the fish? I see nothing wrong with the hackles you have tied on as far as appearance. They are thicker than many I have seen tied, (the width from front to back) but fully functional. Are you trying to get the whole feather wrapped onto the hook? I'm no expert at tying flies, but I don't think you have to use the whole feather, sometimes less is more or better. Take tenkara flies as an example, usually only a few twists around the hook and that's it.

If you are tying for perfection, which I sometimes try to do, I get frustrated because my hands and fingers don't want to cooperate, or the materials have a mind of their own, or I don't employ the proper technique. In this case, I go to youtube and watch the experts and try to mimic how they do it (a lot of watch, rewind, watch rewind, tie along, rewind, double check the tyers technique vs mine) and then decide when enough is enough. I watch Davie McPhail and Dave Camiss videos which I find very helpful, there are some here on this site with helpful videos on you tube also.

I don't trout fish here in central Florida, mainly because we don't have them this far south that I can find. They may be more picky on what they take, I don't know. But I would think that if you offer those flies to a fish, they would take them.

Just my humble opinion (which means nothing), but I think they are sufficient quality to catch fish

Scott

Yes i like all of my flies to look good when im done tying them. No, not trying to put the whole feather on, just enough to help the fly float. Def to much material on these ones, little bushy but will work. At this phase im just trying to get in on the hook and tied off to look good.

Thanks to everyone, Ive read and considered all of the advice given.

Looking at the hackles you have wound I think I can see one of the problems you are having. The hackle is trying to lie "flat" as you start to wind it. This could be caused by the initial wraps you use to tie the hackle stem in not being tight enough. The wraps need to hold the stem so stiffly that the stem will bend where it emerges from the wraps. If these wraps are loose the stem twists in the wraps as it bends.

Hope that is some help.

Cheers,

C.

McRad, I didn't mean to offend you with my post. If I was crass or short in my wording, I sincerely appologize. I think they look very good and as I said in an immediate edit after the initial post at the end, I would be proud to have tied these. Again, sorry if I offended, it was not my intent.

McRad, I didn't mean to offend you with my post. If I was crass or short in my wording, I sincerely appologize. I think they look very good and as I said in an immediate edit after the initial post at the end, I would be proud to have tied these. Again, sorry if I offended, it was not my intent.

Im not offended at all brother :) I hope it didnt seem that way.

this is the latest. 4 wraps of each brown and grizzly. Starting to look better on the hook, gotta get that head cleaned up.

post-48159-0-47300000-1364233292_thumb.jpg

shes a tad blurry, busted my optio on the jurrasic park ride at universal studios :(

i have been having issues as well. I found that by placing my hackle pliers as close to where you will tie the hackle in will inhibit twisting, and allow your pliers to grab more meat and prevent them from breaking or slipping out.

also be sure to strip the hackle fibers a way a bit and secure the "quill". I find that with dries i strip the fibers away and tie in the stem left over as far up the hook as i can. I wet the wings before I start putting the hackle on. I hope this helps.

Sit down and keep tying the same pattern if you have to get used to this. Only tying on or two flies with hackle then giving up and going to easier patterns will not help you out. I only say that because that is what i did ;)