Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
shoebop

Seining for Bugs

Does anyone here ever use a seine to sample a river for bugs? Or maybe I should ask if you think it is worthwhile?

I have netted bug for over 40 years on rivers and streams all over. Best way to learn what is there, and what to imitate.

Yup. You can use a paint strainer found at the hardware store instead of one of those expensive seines from the fly shop...

I have been using an aquarium net. Thanks for the tip on the paint strainer, I can just line my fishing net with the strainer and leave the aquarium net at home. The aquarium net also has black netting, so the white netting of a paint strainer will make things easier on my eyes. Sampling helps you see what is in the creek, but once you catch a fish, a throat pump will tell you which of the available food items the fish are after at the moment.

Is the paint strainer better than a piece of nylon window screening stretched between two sticks?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="shoebop" data-cid="544173" data-time="1363902920"><p>

Is the paint strainer better than a piece of nylon window screening stretched between two sticks?</p></blockquote>

I'm not sure. It's definitely easier to pack though... As mentioned above, you just put it on your net.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="shoebop" data-cid="544173" data-time="1363902920"><p>

Is the paint strainer better than a piece of nylon window screening stretched between two sticks?</p></blockquote>

I'm not sure. It's definitely easier to pack though... As mentioned above, you just put it on your net.

I see that! I have never seen or used one before. Probably because I don't use an airless sprayer. That looks like it will be just the ticket! :)

it's always fun to see what is creeping around the stream. A "kicknet" is best for finding nymphs.

when i go out to get samples i use and old wood chair frame with mosquito netting stretched across, nothing gets through that. makes for some fun id-ing all the midge stuff..

I usually just drive through the water ... then whatever bugs are stuck to the windshield are the ones active at that time. Sucks fro the interior and engine, but looking at those bugs on glass is pretty easy!

I figgured you would just look in a mirror and see what's stuck in your teeth. I don't think I would want to be up to my butt, mucking about with nets and screens in a river full of 12 foot gators.