Fly Tying
troutslayerny

Necks or Saddles

So, when I learned to tie I worked for a a shop in Whitefish, MT. I was taught with saddles. We got them cheap as employees (cheaper, anyway). I have $60 and $90 Whiting and Hoffmans. I still don't like Metz--bought some e-bay.

I never ever used a neck. Now that I tie and fish flies in the #10-12 range (stimulators, green drakes, blue winged olives, ausable wulfs and the haystack series), the saddles I have are full of way-too-small hackles...16-20...and I need to re-stock.

What would you all suggest?

I no longer work for the shop and live in the Adirondacks of NY--if that helps. There are few shops here. I am tempted to buy 100 packs.

I guess there are pros and cons of both necks and saddles. I personally perfer saddles now days. if for instance i"m tying a half dozen size 12"s, i just need one saddle hackle of that size. Also if i ty alot of a certain size range i can by a saddle with the bulk of the hackles in the size range that i"m likley to use. the quality of saddles today is unbeliveable! When you buy a cape, you get all sizes and end up not using a lot of it, at least that has been my experiance. The whiting 100 pack is a good deal, but if you ty a lot i would get a larger quantity. They sell them in quaters, halves and whole saddles. You can also specify a size range when you buy these. No, the hackles prbably all won"t be exactly in the size range, but a lot closer than a neck. JUST MY 2 CENTS. Good Luck!

I have 100s in about 6 colors, from size 10 to 22. When I run out of a size in a particular color, it costs $11. to $14. to replace EXACTLY what I ran out of!

I use all of the sizes, and colors, but I run out of cream and brown (Renegades), furnace (Cracklebacks), grizzley and brown (Adams) etc.

I, too, enjoy using the saddles. The problem with saddles, however, is that it is a pain in the rear to find fibers long enough for the tail. For most of my generachutes (generic parchutes used as attractors) I tend to use saddles for the hackle and moose (bleached or unbleached) for the tail.

troutslayerny: Do not expect too much sympathy from me for having saddle hackle in those sizes. I cherish those when I see them.

A