Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
i_love_rush_and_ledzepp

beginner's flytying

This book helped out a lot for me at first.

"Basic Fly tying' All the skills and tools you need to get started.

-Stackpole Books

The book goes over,Tools and materials, Basic techniques,

Then covers seven differnt patterns.

-Woolly bugger

-Gold-ribbed hare's ear

-Beadhead pheasant tail nymph

-Elk hair caddis

-Compara-dun and sparkle dun

-Adams

-Marabou muddler

As you tie the flys it bulds your skill.This book gave me all the basic skill to have a solid understanding of tying.You will have a strong skill set to tie most flies for differnt fish.

Tear it up,

Salty

Sounds like you need to sit down with your buddy John and have him give you some lessons. You'll probably learn more from him one on one in 3 hours than you'll get from half a dozen books.

Sounds like you need to sit down with your buddy John and have him give you some lessons. You'll probably learn more from him one on one in 3 hours than you'll get from half a dozen books.

True, Allthough I am from,Hamilton (which is not far from London), he is quite busy at times.

EDIT: He's going to teach me to flyfish sometime.

You don't want to just go tying anything. Some flies will certainly work for a multitude of fish species. But you really need to research where you will be fishing and what you'll encounter as far as species of fish before you can create a basic list of flies. This will be a big step in your flies being productive and your enjoyment of fly tying and fishing.

Well it doesent really matter at first to me. I just want to get the hang of fly tying any beginner fly.

start tying some elk hair caddis... I started tying a year ago and once I could tie a good elk hair caddis I could tie just about anything. It has hackle, dubbing and hair stacking...all required for most dry flies.