Fly Tying
FlyTieDad

How long is a spool?

This is an old thread, but it explains why I don't use any wire from "fly tying" outlets.  I get all my wire from old electrical wiring, and electronics cables I have a lifetime supply of 38 gauged copper that I got from an electrical supply store 40 years ago.  I still have 2/3rds of it left.

Been doing that for years. Have a stash of old extension and lamp cords.

On 8/14/2021 at 3:30 PM, utyer said:

This is an old thread, but it explains why I don't use any wire from "fly tying" outlets.  I get all my wire from old electrical wiring, and electronics cables I have a lifetime supply of 38 gauged copper that I got from an electrical supply store 40 years ago.  I still have 2/3rds of it left.

I'll second that.  I don't use anything from fly tying stores (online or brick-and-mortar) that I can find anywhere else. I get the profit margin must be higher due to the specialized nature and demand but charging so many times more for the same material is just outrageous. Simply re-packaging the same stuff you can buy anywhere does not merit the price jump.

Price beads on Amazon versus any fly tying shop and do the math. My lead wire still comes from a spool of non-rosin core solder I bought years ago. Less than $10.00 for 30 yds. Likely I will expire before the spool does.

As Utyer says, you can strip and salvage wire from old cables and wiring.  It works just as well as re-packaged stuff.  Let's face it, you can't be too cheap and stay in this hobby. The cost of rods, reels and fly line alone prevent that but then there's stupid money.

On 3/26/2013 at 11:10 PM, mikechell said:

I just measured mine ... although it's not UTC wire, I am assuming the spool is close to the same. Mine is 1.25 inches long from end to end. If you need the diameter too, it's approximately 0.75 inches in diameter. I couldn't get that measurement accurately, as the wire is in the way.

That was what I was thinking.   All one needs is a ruler.