Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
picketpin

Okuma reels

Hi guys any one here try the okama rells and how did you like it .looking for a couple of backup reels for when on long fishing trips seems like a not bad price for their large arbour .Tight linesMIKE dunno.gif

I own a few different Okuma's they are a very good reel for the price. Currently i have a couple of the Serrias and have never had a problem with them. For the inexpensive price you cant go wrong with them.

SD

I bought a graphite frame Okuma Airframe AF 7/9 to put on a 8 wt. rod that I use for hunting big trout. I wanted a reel with lots of backing. Reel works great; has a feature that "shuts" down the drag when reeling but engages when the line is pulled. I got a great price on it at www.troutlet.com after checking out several other reels and prices. Negative on the reel is that the drag wheel isn't secured so don't loosen it so much that that it falls off. However, wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Oh yes, a friend has three metal framed ones and likes them.

I've got a large arbor Okuma on an 8wt st criox,it handles lake Erie steelies, and a few big salmon just fine.

P.S. you will love the drag as much as the price.

DCM

I am looking for a reel myself and looked into these. Found a report about them being trout reels nothing more. Something about bearings being small or something like that. I am passing on it. Even though I know some guys that are happy with them. The reels are still brand new, they shouldnt have any problems. With that report I found made me wonder how long one would last. Well good luck on finding that perfect reel. Its tuff.

Sign in to follow this