Fly Tying
zOnk

Best western river to freelance?

I'm kicking around the idea of heading west of the Great Lakes for a summer fishing excursion.

I'm looking for a river that has nice drift boat access (easy ins and outs) and floats that range from 3-8 hours. My rowing skills are limited to tight water finesse and tailwater fisheries. I'm confident of my skills but not looking to shoot any big rapids or do overnight floats.

I've been thinking the Missouri and the PMD hatches around the first week of July. Any other thoughts or suggestions in CO, MT, WY?

I would head for the South Fork of the Snake below Palisades dam in Idaho. First week or so of July should be good for Stones. Madison is good that time of year also.

www.takemefishing.org

I am not sure if this will help you ... but it works well for me when I am travelling for work. Just type in the State you want to go to and start looking at the places listed. Good information for the States I've been to since finding this site.

big horn river fort smith montana

That was my thought aswell. Lots of quality fish, and easy to row river with alot of put in and take out spots for your boat,

I'll start my research on the Big Horn. What would be your best guess on timing or favorite hatches to fish there?

I would head for the South Fork of the Snake below Palisades dam in Idaho. First week or so of July should be good for Stones. Madison is good that time of year also.

utyer is right, snake below palisades has a ridiculous fish per square mile ratio. The downside is the amount of people that float this section daily is also ridiculous. Once you fish this section you can pack up and head of the the snake in jackson (my home) and get some fine spotted cutties smile.png After that it is a short jaunt down to the green and that is also incredible fishing. In my opinion you can't go wrong with the Wydaho/Wyoming. That being said if I personally was going on a trip I would go to Craig, MT for some dry fly bliss.

You were right to think the Missouri River, Montana. Stay in either Craig or Wolf Creek, and I promise you won't be disappointed. It is the best of the best.

If you wait till LATE summer or early fall taking the Arkansas from Buena Vista,CO past Salida to Turkey Creek is a great trip if the water is low enough. Durring the Spring the rafters can keep it...it is TOO dangerous that time of year.

The Bighorn is awesome any time of year..In July YOU can have it...I hate banging elbows with the hundreds of people that hit that upper 3 mile stretch of the river...and its not a whole lot less crowded below it.