Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sore arm

stonefly hatch

This may be a basic question but being new to this I dont know. I have heard on a few occasions that a stonefly hatch happened today. I fish for steelies in the Erie tribs. How does the angler know that a hatch is occuring? What do I nead to do to see if a hatch is going on or not? When the hatch is going on should I match it or use an attracting stonefly pattern? Thanks

Are you saying that this is a current hatch, or just referring generally?

If stoneflies have hatched and aren't actively flying, check the bushes & grasses for resting specimens. Also, check along the sides of semi-exposed rocks or sticks protruding from the water for their shucks. If they're flying, they'll be the awkward, bumbling flyers and if the fish are taking them, you'll see slashing rises if the bugs are on the large side...smaller ones will be taken with more of a sip generally.

For fishing before the hatch, drift a nymph along the bottom. Very few stonefly species hatch like a caddis or mayfly (rising in the water column and breaking thru the surface), they mainly crawl to shore or up the sides of mid-stream rocks/sticks, etc to break out of their cases. An attractor dry to match the hatch size and color is what you'd use...stimulator, double humpy, sofa pillow or even a chernobyl ant are good choices.

If it's a current hatch it's probably a very small stonefly, and usually black or dark brown. Small stimulators, Elk Hair Caddis or a large midge dry would work ok.

Myself I use area specific hatch charts. Although not always 100% right on when the hatch starts or stops it gives you alot better idea what to be looking for when you get to the river. Its a good idea to keep a journal or something so you have your own personal log of what was going on at that time of year. Writting down what you used and which of them worked or didn't is easier than trying to remember year after year, especially if you fish rivers in differnent provinces or states.