Fly Tying
FlyTieDad

What materials do you miss?

miss ? i just started to tie, so i haven't completely used up anything yet. maybe i need to think about stocking up now.

craig

Inquiring minds want to know.....What is the best substitute for polar bear hair? I have tried a couple but they just did not have the translucense of the real thing.

Inquiring minds want to know.....What is the best substitute for polar bear hair? I have tried a couple but they just did not have the translucense of the real thing.

I don't know what this stuff is - I suspect Finn raccoon - but it's one of the zillion materials that people use as PB substitutes. I've also heard that Himalayan mountain goat is pretty good, along with skunk and some kind of horsehair. (????) I used to tie with PB when it was plentiful and cheap, and it was nice stuff, but with all the great synthetics and naturals around today, I really haven't missed it.

http://scotthowellflyfishing.com/product/steelycoon

BTW Ditz - there'd still be plenty of polar bears around today if you hadn't run over so many with your Model T. Yet another reason to cut back on the Tennessee corn likker.

Yea, but the humanitarian that I am I always put them out of thier misery with my trusty flintlock. Only had to do that with the wounded ones of course. I got so that I could skin out one of those white beauties in about 6 minutes with my flint knife. Man, those were the days. Bone hooks, gut leaders, horse hair lines, and willow rods. When men were men and the fish were huge.

-jungle cock

-golden pheasant tail

-bustard

-quality goose shoulder

-heron

-silk gut

-good silk floss

-and of course genetic hackle :(

-jungle cock

-golden pheasant tail

-bustard

-quality goose shoulder

-heron

-silk gut

-good silk floss

-and of course genetic hackle sad.png

You should be able to find a few of those items locally, just saw u are from Ontario - first cast fly shop has a great selection of Heron, i know Wilsons had quite a few JC capes. Now i have had trouble finding quality BM and goose shoulder hmmz, just need to sift through all the bags and try and find something good.

I think that there is nothing I miss. But if you are a collector then that is different. I framed my card of Chadwick's 477 because it is a collectors item. I have some other neat stuff that would only mean something to an old timer. Personally, I never liked synthetics but have nothing against them. For me, part of thr fun is collecting old but excellent quality material.

-jungle cock

-golden pheasant tail

-bustard

-quality goose shoulder

-heron

-silk gut

-good silk floss

-and of course genetic hackle sad.png

You should be able to find a few of those items locally, just saw u are from Ontario - first cast fly shop has a great selection of Heron, i know Wilsons had quite a few JC capes. Now i have had trouble finding quality BM and goose shoulder hmmz, just need to sift through all the bags and try and find something good.

sorry for my ignorance, where's first cast? I also assume you mean wilsons in fergus, because the toronto location had some but not any more, they also don't have floss. Sail does have some genetic hackle for $15 (whitings) and I think I'll get some, so I can stop tying royal wulffs using 2 hackles lol

Thanks for the info.....

the best polar bear sub is skunk tail it has the same translucence as the PB and it flows nicely in the water

This is good to know. Never used any skunk though I have known a few in my time.

sorry for my ignorance, where's first cast? I also assume you mean wilsons in fergus, because the toronto location had some but not any more, they also don't have floss. Sail does have some genetic hackle for $15 (whitings) and I think I'll get some, so I can stop tying royal wulffs using 2 hackles lol

Damn, i actually meant the downtown Wilsons shop, i picked some up before going on holidays a few months back and they still had a couple of capes but obviously the word is out, i find it is something you have to look at before dropping that amount of cash to check for quality, splits, and size for your needs. A hint, don't be afraid to try and bargain on the capes if they are not up to par.

For floss i have just been using uni-floss, i think all my tying stuff is locally found/ Canadian.

This is First Cast - http://www.thefirstcast.ca/index.html they have an impressive selection of Heron but if you prefer to get it direct along with some other awesome hackle such as bep or winging furs go here http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/flytying-plumage-menu.html

For hooks best bet is the Llama company, they have the lovely gold aj's at a decent price http://www.canadianllama.com/

If you ever make it out West the shop Michael Young has an impressive selection of plumage you wouldn't see anywhere else.

As a side note the Polar Bear is relatively easy to find over here, some excellent quality too!