Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kudu

flyfishing survivor

I am at the start of a week long vacation so I thought a flyfishing survivor hypothetical scenario might be fun. The scenario follows.

You are being dropped in an unknown location that has a variety of flora and fauna. Fish and wildlife are very abundant and yes there are dangerous species of each. You will remain here for one year at which time you will be rescued.

You are provided with the following items:

dutch oven and skillet

magnesium fire starter

a good quantity of rope and parachute cord

axe, survival knife, and shovel

backpack and tent

5 gallon water vessel

boots and appropriate clothing

a 5wt and 9wt rod with appropriate leaders, line, reels etc

You get to bring the following:

3 different flies for each rod and in sufficient quantity to last a year

a book of your choosing

1 miscellaneous item (cannot be a gun, electronic, boat or canoe, or use a propellant)

someone of the opposite sex (cannot be related and this is not meant to be dirty or to get you in trouble with your spouse)

You have been told that the climate is comfortable.

What would you bring from the permissible items and why? Who would you bring and why?

Have fun!

Crawfish Orange Bunny Leech, BH Pheasant Tail, and Psycho Princes for 5 wt.
Mike Schmidts Mufasa, Large Popper, Hangtime Optic Minnow for 9 wt.

Dynamic Nymphing by George Daniel to sharpen skills.

I would bring arrows for hunting as the misc Item.

April Vokey to catch fish when I can't.

good choices. I see you assume there is trout.

Now that the ice has been broken Ill give it a go.

Flies: 5wt black gnat, black bugger, and a grasshopper

9 wt large stealth bomber, ep baitfish, white bugger

I think these flies would appeal to a multitude of species

a survival manual that shows edible plants-- would be helpful to know what not to eat

a 220 conibear trap-- trap food

Giada (she is a chef on tv)-- help cook something tasty and I dont think I would get tired of looking at her

5wt flies barrs slumpbuster, adams dry, and hares ear nymph.

9wt flies hawg snare, green and orange popper, ep minnows

field and streams the total sportsman

misc item snare cable to make traps for food

Jenny Schmitt she is my doctor and not hard on the eyes and God knows I will need a doctor in that year

Now sign me up for this year

First off i would have to trade the 9wt for a 2wt about 6.5ft and the 5wt about 10ft. I wouldn't want to bother with different sizes all that much. So that would leave me with 6 fly types... 1st Renegades (varients of), Pistol petes (my own variations of), muddler minnows, misquitoes, caddis dries, emergers, and nymphs. This should be good for most fish species and a year's worth of changes in conditions.

The book would have to be something by Terry Brooks...I love the Shannarra series for his writting style.

I would have to trade the female companion for a good shorter lever action rifle though. As it is my vest is perminently set-up with 3 M100s (bigger than M80 of ole) because i know they will send any animal bugging me off and running away at top speed. But a year like that with-out a good gun is leaving you open to too many possabilities. Winter doesn't give you too many fishing days in the wilderness and staying in one area makes all the local animals too accustom to you to stay afraid for that long...there will be several hunting you before mid winter...at least in the mountains i know. I might accept a good bow as an alternative with the right tip selection and several arrow weights.

To top it all off when i go to get away i want away from EVERY-ONE! I sure wouldn't bring any-one who would nag me.

And if this place doesn't have winter i would never go because i hate the HEAT and humidity.

Why the rule about not taking a firearm? If I'm allowed to bring all that other stuff, there would be no reason not to bring at least a shotgun. Might never use it, but sometimes it's just plain fun to shoot targets. Once in a while it would be nice to eat a bird or a mammal too, and trapping is rather a pain in the buttocks. I certainly could get by for a year with just an axe- but an appropriate firearm would enable a lower-stress state of mind considering your inclusion of "dangerous wildlife".... and here we're ASSuming you mean stuff with claws, muscles, and teeth, not just little snakes and spiders and stuff---- and the absolute certainty that the most dangerous wildlife out there probably walks on two legs.

No way I would want to bring anyone of the fairer sex, or anyone at all for that matter, but especially not a girl. My sincerest apologies to any lady readers. In a situation like that, I would not want to become a burden on anyone, and as the old adage says, "If it has t*ts or wheels, you're gonna have problems." I'm prone to having intermittent parts failures- major parts, like 3 damaged discs in my spine- and I would not want to have someone feel obligated to play nursemaid instead of having fun. This ties nicely back into the first paragraph also. I'd bring 120 pounds of medical supplies before bringing 120 pounds of curvaceous beauty.

Of course this whole scenario ASSumes there are no family obligations. I would not off-handedly go and separate myself from my teenage son and my wife so I can go BS-around on vacation for a year. I chose to serve my nation for 20+ years under the obligation that "you've HAVE to go out, but you don't have to come back" and that was different than disappearing on vacation.

If all of the above conditions were met, my very next question would be: "ONLY ONE YEAR??"

I guess, for the 5wt I would choose a parachute caddis, a pheasant tail nymph and a bh olive bugger. As for the 9wt, I have one but don't ever use it so I don't have a clue. The book would have to be one of my guides to tell me which plants not to eat. The misc. item would have to be wire for snares also. As for the fairer sex, I could take her or leaver her. I like female company alot, but a year with a lady other than your wife might prove to be a bigger challenge than just trying to survive. I have been married and faithful since 1986 but I am only human. I don't worry about critters too much, but there is some out there that should be respected. Its a shame this is only hypothetical because I would be interested in signing up....

5 weight flies-

bloodworm pattern (bloodworms are found in almost everybody of freshwater)

a very buggy hares ear nymph (imitates lots of things, fresh and salt)

tie down minnow, imitates many different minnows (if fish are present, there will be little ones around)

9 weight flies-

Wolly bugger (is there a fish that won't eat this?)

Moslers 3d plush sculpin (imitates large sculpins, fresh and salt, imitates many bottom dwelling fish

Felt crab (a salt only fly, but crabs are everywhere in salt water and fish eat them)

Extra item - large tarp (provides shade and cover from rain)

Book- survival guide (self explanatory)

Survival isn't my worry, but seeing as fish = food I need an arsenal I can take any where. Small and large streamers like the tie down minnow and Moslers sculpin are sure to tempt larger meat eating fish found in every region of the world. With all the places in the world I'm not optimistic about finding trout, but bloodworms, hares ear nymph and streamers should tempt them, aswell as other insect eating fish around the world, living in muddy, clean, tropical and temperate waters. Salt water I'm targeting the open water sport fish, but rather the more stationary bottom dewelling species (flounder, rockfish, cod) using streamers, and crab imitations, and the hares ear may even pass as a small shrimp for smaller species.

You are provided with the following items:

dutch oven and skillet

magnesium fire starter

a good quantity of rope and parachute cord

axe, survival knife, and shovel

backpack and tent

5 gallon water vessel

boots and appropriate clothing

a 5wt and 9wt rod with appropriate leaders, line, reels etc

You get to bring the following:

3 different flies for each rod and in sufficient quantity to last a year

a book of your choosing

1 miscellaneous item (cannot be a gun, electronic, boat or canoe, or use a propellant)

someone of the opposite sex (cannot be related and this is not meant to be dirty or to get you in trouble with your spouse)

You have been told that the climate is comfortable.

What would you bring from the permissible items and why? Who would you bring and why?

Have fun!

Your list of items would be sufficient for me to thrive for much more than a year.

For flies ... I would bring foam body poppers, sub-surface streamers and bead head nymphs ... all for the 5 weight. The nine weight would provide all I need to build several different types of traps for killing things with fur and feathers.

I wouldn't take a book ... unless I could get a waterproof "international guide to edible plants" ... which I would only need if I was in an area with plant life I am not already familiar with.

My miscellaneous item would be a hammock ... survival in areas with dangerous animals can be easily attained if you sleep in the trees from a suspended hammock.

It's already been said, but I'll say it again. If you are going to give me everything I need to survive, which the above items will do, and you are going to put me somewhere that I can live off the grid for a year ... I don't want or need anyone else with me. Opposite sex or not, I generally don't like people ... since it can't be my wife, then I'd much prefer the wildlife to any human.

I think rather than bringing flies, I would choose 3 different hook styles for each rod. Misc. item would be plenty of tying thread. I think I could scavange enough material to make a variety of flies to suit and I could strip hooks and tie something else if I happen to tie a dud. I would not bring anybody. I get along with myself pretty well and it would be one less mouth to feed as well as more tent room. If I had to choose flies for an unknown location, I'd pick something dry, something nymphy and a streamer (probably wooly buggars) for each rod, then I could strip them in the field once I was acclimated to the local food sources, if needed. The only book of value for me would be one of edible flora for the area.

If I had to bring somebody of the opposite sex, that complicates things. A year is a long time to be celebate. How could a man, with options to choose a woman to spend a year with in solitude not pick somebody appealing and then expect not to succumb to the appeal? For the sake of my marriage, I'd have to decline the whole trip unless there was an understanding beforehand (right). If I did bring a woman along, she would have to be appealing, enjoy my company, comfortable in the wilderness and capable of working as a team to help provide enough food and labor to sustain us for that year. No comprimise on the capable part.

Opposite sex or not, I generally don't like people ... since it can't be my wife, then I'd much prefer the wildlife to any human.

we have that trait very much in common.

WOW, i am beginning to see a trend that Will might want to take the time to do a poll on and some research on.

It looks like a large percentage of us are basically anti-social... All brought together on a social net-working site dedicated to a hobby to help get us out to be even more anti-social while building our sociability in cyber-space... Does any-one else find this as ironic and bewildering as i do?

No wonder Will bills him-self as lord of idots??? LOL, ROFL, Passed-out from lack of air laughing!

wooley booger in black with brass head and flash in the tail only. Chicago fly black with gold head, and probably a zuddler for the 5wt probably would bring deceiver clouser and zonker for the 9wt purple chartreuse/white for both clouser and deceiver. the bible or an encyclopedia simply because i might be able to learn something from the book. i would bring the female on a hunting show watch cant remember her name but damn that girl can hunt and shes easy on the eyes ;) and my misc item would be bow string.