Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JSzymczyk

recent fly line posts

When I started, I had ONE rod, with a level line, and a click pawl reel, and it was the only setup one I needed. I didn't care, I fished it on little creeks, and the big rivers. I learned to cast in close, and far off, and caught plenty of fish. I was living in Jackson Hole and it was hard NOT to catch fish.

When you started? There were, what, ten people in all of Wyoming when you lived in Jackson Hole? Not much pressure on those fish in the ... 1700's? Earlier?

Sorry, I couldn't leave that alone.

That was the mid 60's and NO not during the Civil War, the Viet Nam War. Yes Jackson was much smaller than it is now. All 6 of us who fly fished caught plenty of fish. I remember going up ten years earlier and fishing with spinning gear and catching Lakers from the shore on Jackson Lake. I consider myself lucky to have started fly fishing back then when it was still a recreation and not a business. There was just enough information to get started, and not so much as to make you feel you had to have this or that rod, reel, line, waders (we waded in Levis and old hiking boots.) I learned what little I knew about what flies to use from my boss. He used about a dozen flies, and was happy with those.

I remember the first afternoon he suggested we go fishing. I hadn't brought any tackle when I came up to join his float business. Wayne loaned me his spinning rod and rigged me up with a fly and a water filled bubble. We fished a beaver pond just outside of Moose which is now a closed area. He was casting his fly rod, and I kept missing fish while I watched him fishing. Still I managed to land and release a couple of dozen brook trout that afternoon. That afternoon I called back home and had a rod (any fly rod,) sent up. Started tying again that fall, and haven't stopped fly fishing or fly tying since.

I agree with everthing here. For those saying that you can't do "everthing" your probably right, although you can do alot. I have 3 different lines; a level floating, and 2 Double Taper Floaters. I do ocasstionaly use one of the doulble tapers but its terrible quality, and the other double taper sits in a box always.

So I usually use the level floating. If I want a weight forward or sinking I have a 7' length of super heavy sinking line that I attach it to the end of the floating with a mono nail knot. Between the level line and the weighted section I could fish most situations I would come across. Sure other lines could be more effeicient, but other lines cost money.

I also I have 3 rods, a dragonfly that is snapped in half, a really cheap Berkeley safari that is very beat up, and a fenwick. Only the fenwick ever sees use. I only have 1 reel and it dosent even have cartridges. It's just a cheap graphite reel I have had since I started fishing.

I am perfectly productive, and often out fish other anglers. It's not about the gear you have, but how you use it.

Well saidJSzymczyk. I couldn't agree more. I never fished with a level line, but I did learn to fish on all sorts of waters for all sorts of fish with a single rod and click-pawl reel and had the hands-down best time of my life doing it.

I now have a buddy who is a sales rep for one of the big-name rod companies AND a very well-known reel company. I can't even begin to estimate the total amount of gear he has but it is way beyond ridiculous. Granted, some of it he has to have to demonstrate his products and whatnot, but I know from fishing with him before he was a rep that he actually believes that for every conceivable fishing situation there is a different rod, reel and line that are the only ones that will do. He has multiple floating and sinking lines for every single rod he owns, and he must have upwards of 30 rods. One of the best parts of fishing with him is seeing his scandalized look when I hook a nice big brown right in front of him on my "inferior" equipment. :)

I wouldn't trade my experiences learning to fish, tie flies, build fly rods and furl leaders for anything, except possibly the opportunity to go back in time and do it all again. :)

Isn't all the endless line and gear talk just an outlet for all the fishing energy when we're stuck in the office?

I do think some tapers can turn over bass bugs better than present a small dry on a 6wt for example, but just because one might be better doesn't mean the other one wouldn't work if it was all you had.