Fly Tying
C LeBo

April Flies From The Vice!

Thanks guys. That fly isn't hard to cast at all compared to some. Things you need to remember about musky fishing, at least in my neck of the woods. Its not necessarily a distance game. You don't need to cast 70 ft to be effective, however with a double haul and the right line its not a problem to cast well. Secondly, you use a 10wt FAST action rod and 350-400gr sink tip. Without it, it would be a bear. And Because of the shape of that fly its actually kind of a breeze to cast compared to big headed reverse bucktail flies.

The rear hook is "small" for the musky world but a quite effective style believe it or not. Its a 3/0 gamakatsu sc17 tarpon hook. I would use them more often if they made them bigger! The front hook is one of my go to hooks. 6/0 mustad 34007.

whipped up a few these yesterday.

Those are nice Chernobyl ants!

thx man i love this pattern, very versatile as well. can double as a strike indy, hopper dropper, stripped and or swung alone is deadly. wasnt sure what it was called, got one from a guy on the red deer river a couple years back and have been messing around with it since, big hopper/ant mutant :) I love big foam flies!

I actually use that foam pattern as a skawala stone too. Just a few weeks ago i was using it with some weight in front to sink it down as an attractor pattern on the truckee river.. here's a picture of a brown caught on one just a few weeks ago.. in the second picture you can see the foam monstrosity.

post-45335-0-59897700-1365010249_thumb.jpg

post-45335-0-42575000-1365010264_thumb.jpg

I actually use that foam pattern as a skawala stone too. Just a few weeks ago i was using it with some weight in front to sink it down as an attractor pattern on the truckee river.. here's a picture of a brown caught on one just a few weeks ago.. in the second picture you can see the foam monstrosity.

Nice fish!

beauty dude!

funny you say skwala stone, the red deer river has a skwala hatch about once a year if you can catch it. the guy i got this from uses it as just that. This is def one of my fav patterns.

Haha dry fly action on the truckee.. no one believes it happens.. everyone nymphs and swings.. here's another one out of the truckee i caught yesterday on a sz. 16 para Adams the brown was my buddy btw, i just took the shot.

post-45335-0-52269800-1365011669_thumb.jpg

All this talk about fish i guess i should post a fly.. heres a sculpin pattern i tied for said truckee.. I didn't get around to snipping the front hook off yet

post-45335-0-16800700-1365012097_thumb.jpg

a few old hopper patterns include a red tail. Those foam ant bodies r perfect. Using 2, tie 1 on each side of the shank, tried one but it kept slipping off to one side. That extra foam at the rear of the fly will help the fly float higher in the water when using a dropper. Sticking with the big foam mutant theme, now its def part hopper part giant ant/stone :)

post-48159-0-72804400-1365013556_thumb.jpg

post-48159-0-60824200-1365013604_thumb.jpg

post-48159-0-86069400-1365013667_thumb.jpg

post-48159-0-14188900-1365013713_thumb.jpg

Love that fly and those pics McRad. Thanks for posting!!

Thx man.

I need a new camera lol. Phone takes good pics i just cant keep steady enough :)

Here's my contribution to the "Tie what you can with this" swap.

#14 Rusty sHACKLEford Stacker

Hook: Dai-Riki #305 size 14

Thread: 6/0 Danville Dark Olive

Tail: Pheasant Tail (required material)

Body: Amber mini ultra-tube (required)

Hackle: Grizzly (required)

Thorax: Rusty Brown Ice Dub (required)

post-44949-0-69046100-1365059454_thumb.jpg

So, I watched Tim Cammisa's tying vid of a Black Ghost variant. I went to have a go at one myself, and didn't have any white Marabou. I did have white zonker strips, so, I came up with my own variant :D

BlackGhostvariant_zps6bc363fe.jpg

It's on a size 10 2xl hook. I used a strand of holographic flashabou for the rib