Fly Tying
Obi

Ready-made rigs

Hi everybody!

Does anyone here prepare his rigs at home upfront and then carry them ready-made to the water when you go out fishing? I was thinking about rigs other than a simple tapered leader for dry-fly-fishing. You know, rigs for multiple nymphs, czech or french leader, rigs for dry fly/nymph combinations and such ........ ?

Out of curiosity: Which types of rigs do you prepare upfront?

And more importantly: How do you store your ready-made rigs in order to avoid terrible tangling. Just think about a leader for multiple nymphs and such things.........

The benefit of preparing upfront is quite abvious - it sure safes a lot of time at the riverside.

Thanks,

Obi

I've thought about it but what do you do with them once they are tied up? Now you have a snag waiting to happen...unless you have a snell keeper. 3-4 ft. of line with 2 or 3 hooks attached is hard to stow away safely. The snell keeper is not a bad idea though.blink.png

Dear shoebop,

Thank you very much for your reply! Since I am not a native speaker: Could you kindly explain what a snell keeper is?

And you are right - we are probably not talking flies already tied onto the leader.

Cheers,

Obi

post-35746-0-39621700-1365012854_thumb.jpg

I knew I should have included a photo in my first post.

You could have several setups with 2-3 flies tied up and ready to fish.

Yes Obi. Find your nearest shop that stocks coarse fishing pole equipement and buy a tray of pole winders.

post-42518-0-36059600-1365019547_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-20662400-1365019548_thumb.jpg

They are great for nymphing rigs where you know the length you are wanting to afix to your fly line. Also handy for 3 fly loch rigs where again you know the length.

I have never pre-rigged at home, both because I lack that kind of foresight but moreso because I actually enjoy the process of rigging up streamside. Part of the pleasure of fly fishing, for me, is the equipment itself. I like uncasing the rod and fitting the pieces together, stringing it up, straightening the leader, perusing the fly box and waiting for inspiration to strike, and all that.

I like to go and have a look at the water first, if possible, to get an idea of how I should rig, too. No point tying on a dry fly only to go and find the river 2 feet higher than its normal stage and looking like chocolate milk, and so forth. I've found that hopping out of the car and rushing down to the water with my line already in the air has rarely yielded me good results. If my fishing time was going to be so limited that 5 or 10 minutes given over to rigging is going to be an issue, I would probably wait and go when I had more time.

I rig at the creek most of the time but I do pre-rig once in a while. I have a plastic bed liner in my small truck and I sometimes just lay the assembled rod in the bed and drive the 2 miles to the creek. It takes me longer to get to the water than to drive to the creek. It also takes me about 15 seconds to get my outfit together and head to the door with my stuff. The longest job is to fill my water bottle.

Hi everybody,

thanks a bunch for your comments! The hints on tray winders is very helpful!

I see your points about rigging up at the waterfront. You are rigt, part of the fun is taking care of your gear. On the other hand, there is no way that I tye a complete rig with dropper tags and such when I am already out for fishing. I'm far too nervous then - the adrenaline starts to kick as soon as I see the first rise..... :-)

Cheers,

Michael

On the other hand, there is no way that I tye a complete rig with dropper tags and such when I am already out for fishing. I'm far too nervous then - the adrenaline starts to kick as soon as I see the first rise..... :-)

Cheers,

Michael

but thats when you take the time to observe whats happening rather than jumping in at the first rise you see

http://midcurrent.com/techniques/reading-the-water/

I too think rigging at the water is part of the fun. But I have been considering pre tying some smaller flys on ahead of time due to sight issues, 20 and smaller on 8x for example. I have not tried it yet but I think it might have some merit. My normal procedure is to take off my expensive sun glasses and try to store them without scratching them or smudging them. I have used flip down magnifiers on ball caps and magnification glasses. Both are a pain to keep from smudges. Plus, I like a full brim hat so there goes the flip downs. I really like fishing small so I might try this. Unless I guess the length of the Tippett correctly and loop it, I am still going to struggle tying it on.

I use furred leaders with loops in the ends which may help. Maybe a Monical like Capt Klink had on Hogans heros?

Why struggle with this quandry?......Do both like me. It just depends on where and what mood I am in. I sure ain't gonna lose any sleep over it.

Ditz:

What is the best wat to straighten the tippet once you roll it up?

Shit, I don't sleep anymore so I can't lose any. There's nothng to lose.

I fish warm water and I almost exclusivly use 6# tippet. I just grab each end of the tippet and stretch it and it straightens out OK. At one time I carried a small patch of tire inner tube to pull the mono thru and it works well also. I have trouble getting enough stretch on heavy mono 15# and over. For this, the patch works better.