Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gecko

Cul de Cock

Hello. New here, and to fly tying, so i have many Qs.

Well, I had this plain domestic chicken cock of beautiful colours, and I killed him and skinned him. I want to preserve as much as I can.

On the but section there are feathers similar to CDC feathers. I know they do not float the same as CDC, and that they get soaked really fast, but has anyone used them at least as dubbing for wets, or something like that. Are they good for anything at all, or am I just wasting time and hopes, or will just have to find out by myself through experimenting?

Write about feathers from other regions of domestic chickens too - what do YOU use them for. Thanks in advance.

Gecko. :)

You can certainly use them as dubbing, not really anything you cant use for that. They also look a little marabou like and you can use like that for tails. Or tie in at the thorax and wind on like a hackle, then wind a normal hackle infront of that and it provides a fluffy profile without any real bulk.

chickens do not inhabit water so there shouldnt be any cdc type feathers (CDC = Cul du Canard = butt of the duck)

they would be most like marabou (chickabou) GOOGLE "flies using chickabou"

tails for buggers

chop up for dubbing

wing for rs2

be creative, experiment, dream up new flies

Hi everything can be use tye , sure it wont float as CDC but as tail will be good and also you will be able to do body with those feathers. experiment and don t be shy to make something different... you will see how they work and move.. you will improve . for me almost anything can be use for fly tying!

keep on tying

CdC is the preen gland feather of a duck. All birds have preen glands, but not all preen gland feathers behave as CdC feathers do. The funny thing about Flytier's reply is that the ducks used for the commercial CdC we buy, don't live on the water either! They come from farmyard ducks as a byproduct of the meat industry. Ducks that live on water preen themselves much more, and, by doing that, damage the feathers.

Cheers,

C.

I'm not sure, my hens have the marabou all about their vents but they're not aftershaft feathers.

Sorry for my late response everyone and thanks for all the answers. Yes i know what CDC feathers are. I live on country so i will soon acquire ducks too. Most feathers i have are cdc-like or marabou-like, like the smaller one on picture that SilverCreek posted. I agree with Piker20 about hens.:D

I will experiment and try to make the best use of everything i find. I've already seen for myself that anything can be used for FT. In another post there will be some of my first flies that i have tied, so i hope you'll comment on them and tell me what you all think.