Fly Tying
flyfisher4life1

Wind River Entomology Kit?

Hello everyone, has anybody had experience with this kit? I really want to get one so I can study my local stream and make a personal hatch chart. If you know of any other kits please feel free share them. Also any tips for a beginner on Entomology are greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Here's the link: http://www.riverbum.com/Wind-River-Entomology-Kit/

You can make yourself a net for a couple of dollars. If you have a good digital camera, that will be better than specimen jars. Trap some of the bugs, take a few pictures and trap some more. Then you can use the pictures to research all you want. I wouldn't spend 50 bucks on that kit, unless you really want to get into bug collecting.

I have used this Mayfly Guide for years. I just make my own nets out of fine mesh screen, or a painter strainer. An aquarium net will work for surface seining. Rather than gathering bugs in bottles, I just wash them out into a few small white plates and take digital photos of them. Place a small ruler along with the bugs to judge size. There are also a lot of sites on the Internet that will help you with identification.

Important to keep records of when and where you collect your insects.

If you are even halfway serious about entomology, go to Bioquip.com and get your supplies from there. They are spendy, because it is a niche market, but their equipment is excellent.

Hi everybody, my name is Nick Zurabishvili, I'm from georgia (caucasus) I've been using Wind River kit for two years, the net is too small, but kit is quite handy.

Got mine yesterday and it seems very handy and quite more durable than i expected. i was shorted a petri dish so i'll have to call and straighten that one out

wrap a tape around metal inner tube of net holding pole to prevent it from slipping inside of the outer one, on my pole it slipped inside and it's impoosible to take it out. (sorry for my english:))