Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Homer35805

A very strange hook, Ever Seen One?

Howdy,

I am attaching a picture of some hooks I got from eBay, anyone ever see anything like this?

Thanks

Homer

no pic yet

Yes, I see that, I added it as an attachment when I posted the message, what did I do wrong?

How do I get it into the post please? Thanks.

Are you using a photo saved to your PC or from a hosting site like photobucket?

If from your PC click attach files paperclip at the bottom L of the reply box. You may need to click more reply options bottom R.

Then browse the folder on your PC click the image and then click add to post when it has uploaded.

If from a hosting site, look for the IMG box and copy that direct into the reply txt. Dont use the img quick tab.

That's a drop shot hook. The two eyes make the hook ride point up so the small lure will always look "upright" ... alive.

Oh, ok. Hmm, when I tied the my first fly to this I wrapped lead wire around the small piece and had attached a swivel and a small willow blade....with the lead wire I was trying to imitate the "road runner" jigs....I'll find the fly and upload a pic when I get back from my dentist's appointment this morning...

I was going to say dont know what it is but it would make a neat spinner bait. Guess you got there first.

Yes, It does, I have two size's of hooks, and 100 of each size #6, & #10....I also picked up 100 silver willow blades, about 1" long....the hard part is getting the swivel onto the small loop without breaking the hook.....but it can be done, then put a small split ring on the end of the swivel, add willow blade, and Voila'....instant spinner... I have done one so far just to see how hard it is to tye, not too bad, have to keep a longer piece of thread from the end of the bobbin to the hook so you can comfortably tie and not hit the small arm with the willow blade, because it doesn't make any sense to tie it before you put the willow blade on, because if you torque it too much to open it enough to slide the swivel in, it can break, and then you have a tied lure with a broken spinner holder...not much good unless you snip off the hook right at the main loop where you would tie your line, and then make a real, real, real long streamer...this thing is about 10x in length...but once you put the spinner on it, and then tie a bulky fly with great big eyes, it looks ok...I'll post a couple of pictures later today....

You could also dress some thick line like garden strimmer line or similar with flash and feathers and tie that in the top loop. Then dress the rest of the hook as normal.

You could also dress some thick line like garden strimmer line or similar with flash and feathers and tie that in the top loop. Then dress the rest of the hook as normal.

Hey, that's a great idea..maybe even put a small stinger hook in the flash.....say, take a snelled hook, cut off the loop end and fasten the mono to the short upright and dress the flash on that piece of mono....sort of a two for one deal....hmm....all sorts of interesting ideas are going thru my head now.....

Instead of trying to bend the upper eye open, why don't you just use a split ring to connect the swivel to the hook eye? Then a second split ring from swivel to willow blade. The hook is certainly long enough to deal with that additional bit of length.