Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chefben4

Predator Poppers

For those of you that dont make to the "flies from the vise section"..

These are predator poppers I am just beginning production/testing on for a local shop. Made with a two part foam and a 90lb through wire. My next batch will be on tubes which should be more practical, I just didnt have any at the moment! Hook is a 7/0 gamakatsu. I should have a video this week of the fly in action. The "Pop" is incredible.

facebook_1901366072_zps13d5e986.jpg

facebook_-1466465840_zps676d6492.jpg

Those heads are a little smaller then a ping pong ball.

Riff, Ill send one out to ya! PM me your address.

Scary good. Should work for any predator, your's look like they are made for Pike or Musky. I'm thinking more in the lines of bass, Snook, Reds, and such.

Scary good. Should work for any predator, your's look like they are made for Pike or Musky. I'm thinking more in the lines of bass, Snook, Reds, and such.

The design was made specifically with predators in mind but I cant wait to throw these for largemouth and the like! As far as durability I can hit the popper with a hammer and not break it. Of course my testing of durability was before the paint job because the hit would likely crack the epoxy resin.

Ben, those look great and I like the name! Nice job!

Kirk

Thanks Kirk and thanks for the ideas/pointers along the way.

Well, I must be a predator, cuz I got a sore lip. Those poppers caught me. Very sweet.

Well, I must be a predator, cuz I got a sore lip. Those poppers caught me. Very sweet.

Thanks!

Looks good, imagine the tube version will be even better.

The tube will be better im pretty sure of it. Trying to figure out the right sized tube right now and maybe one I can get locally instead of fly fishing specific. It would certainly be cheaper that way.

Was going to try refrigerator tubing but i think its just too big.

I agree. Qtip size tubing is all you need. Too wide and tying materials is an issue. The UK guys and hopefully the stateside ones will want to use wire traces to attach the hook and I know over here the common 30lb trace is 0.7mm or under which easily passes through a Qtip.

The tubing we use for salmon tubes is mostly 2mm dia or 2.4 rigid PVC tubing. Available, according to the net, in loads of US RC model shops as its used for fuel lines in RC planes, cars etc.