Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Fly Tying Bench - utyer

When we moved, we down sized. We went from 3800 sq feet to 2300, and from 6 bedrooms to three. Needless to say the fly tying area had to be down sized as well. Here is my NEW tying area, desk and storage is all fit into a 90" long closet. The desk is wider than my last tying desk, and it will slide out and lock in place with two bolts (shown,) which go into two "T" nuts in the lower shelf.

img5164d3aee8611.jpg

img5164d3af9d64e.jpg

img5164d3b0446a2.jpg

img5164d3b0d0e2c.jpg

img5164d3b16b1dc.jpg

View the full article

I actually really like this set up. One thing. does it slide out at all .if it dosnt i would think your legs would hit the shelf under your table.

Nice setup. I love my Nor-vice. I use hair ponies too for holding the thread on my spools. It must be nice to close the doors and have everything hidden.

Jeremy

Yes, the top shelf (54" wide,) will slide out 8 inches. There are 2 parts to the work surface. The top is held in place by two bolts that go into "T" nuts in the underneath shelf. The base self is only 22.5" front to back, and the upper desk shelf is 26 inches, so I have a full foot between my legs and the storage underneath.

This tying area is working out very well so far, but I am still shifting things around, and getting it better organized.

I have had that Nor-vise since 1991 or so. When I got it from Norm, they came with aluminum arbors. Then about 4 or 5 years ago, I sent it back to get the friction screw drilled in the top. At that time, I got the fine point jaws and the gallows tool. Norm reworked my original vise, and sent it back with a reconditioned set of brass arbors (along with my origional arbors.) I like the brass arbors better, they do give the vise a better spin.

I had 8 other vises when I got the Nor-vise, and I sold or donated all of them. Now its about the only vise I use. The Dyna-King Sidewinder in the background I traded a fishing buddy a Hardy reel for. It's also a great vise. The Sidewinder will also spin but not as well as a Nor-vise, and its a little fiddly to center the jaws for inline rotation, but its still a great vise.

post-12074-0-26561800-1365598127_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-75676800-1365598145_thumb.jpg

Nice set up. If you ever get interested, there are really good sliding rails for drawers that will allow you to slide the table top in and out very easily ... think tool box drawers. They also have little gravity activated locks at full open and full closed.

Nice cozy little tying nook.

Thats a nice tying set up, every wife would love to see it all disapear as quick as that station can, with a piece of white peg board along the back wall you would be able to hanga bunch of tools and materials that you reach for most often.

Great tying area. I couldn't think of a better use for a closet. :)

Now you just need some of those sticky hooks so you can make use of the inside of the doors to hang more stuff on.

I just bought a Norvise from Norm with the standard jaws and dubbing table last month. So far, I love it. I built a nice oak base and matching tool caddy to hang off the thread post. Only thing is I wish it was a little more portable. I make a lot of dubbing ropes and this thing is a dream for that.

Yes, my wife loves the fact that the doors will close up on all the mess it usually is.

I have made my Nor-vise portable. I have several smaller "travel" bases for it. I also have several bases that I have placed in friends houses for when I visit. Norm also has clamp bases for the vise and post now.

My other travel vises are either gone, or collecting dust. The Nor-vise goes where I go.

post-12074-0-42031700-1365650853_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-12634900-1365650861_thumb.jpg

I know how you feel utyer. I love my Nor-vise so much I'm thinking of getting another one with the large jaws so i have all 3 jaws and the tube jaws and i want the travel bag. That way i can keep it packed and when i go away for the weekend a can take it with me.

Jeremy