Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
steeladdict

Sarasota Bay

I am going to be fishing Sarasota Bay at the end of Feb. Does anyone have a suggestion on what flies I should be bringing with me for reds and snook. I have an 8wt T-3, any suggestion on flyline/leaders. Will I be underpowered with an 8wt. First time in the saltwater for me. I am going out with 2 hardware fisherman so they are no help, I think they throw out some pilchers and wait for something to hit it. Can't wait to outfish them. Thanks.

You won't be seeing too many Snook in the bay in Feb. they will be up the rivers keeping warm. Reds, seatrout, pompano and jacks will be around if it doesn't get too cold.

The 8 wt. will be perfect for these fish. A floating line and a 9 to- 10 foot leader is all you need. My standard leader is 4 feet of 40#, 3 feet of #30, 2 feet of #20 mono and 8" to 12" of #20 or #30 flouro bite tippett.

For flies just tie up some Clousers Charteuse/white, tan/white. Look at my tippett shrimp in the pattern data base, Reds and trout can't resist them. Pompano like any bonefish fly or Merkin. I have good results with a #4 pink Gotcha.

Good luck, and have fun.