Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
lostman

dubbed leach/streamer, whats your opinion?

until recently i worked with the guy who created the ddh, a great fly!

hes the one who got me into fly fishing and tying for the most part,

anyways i recently tied up a bunch of streamers in the same style as the ddh and think they should be killer in a couple places

lots of catfish, carp and drum fishing here on the red river, these fit the description for the perfect fly

also the brown one resembles a crayfish fairly well with a couple add ons and cant wait to try it for some spawning smallies!

any ideas for other modifications or how they should work?

thanks,

lostman

post-45191-0-14162200-1365723191_thumb.jpg

post-45191-0-05860300-1365723212_thumb.jpg

post-45191-0-85015800-1365723253_thumb.jpg

post-45191-0-30997900-1365723265_thumb.jpg

Very tasty looking! If they don't turn over hook point up, trim some of the material from the bottom - the side with the eyes that is, I guess in your vise, that would be the top. Good fishy looking flies that will no doubt catch fish, nice ties.

Kirk

I'll do that sometimes with bead head flies. I use a strip lead that is about 3/16" wide and about .020" thick and tie it to the top of the hook to help turnover or add extra weight without having to use extra large, grass catching dumbell eyes. I feel that tying the lead on that one side helps better than wrapping around the shank, which I don't think changes the center of gravity as well.

Kirk

Did just do a dub loop or did you pack and stack. Looks great, and yeah those could drag up some smallies!

dubbing loop was the easiest way to do it!

been doing more expirimenting with them, trimmed up one and added some scudback, makes a great crayfish!

but i just started using dubbing loops and they are great! so many ways to tweak flies to your liking

Lost, I just read your whole post, don't know how I missed it the first time. You're talking about Stu Thompson? If so, I've got a bunch of his dubbing and on two occasions, he sent me a box of flies to photograph. Stu is very prolific and talented, you were lucky to have learned from him.

Kirk

dubbing loop was the easiest way to do it!

been doing more expirimenting with them, trimmed up one and added some scudback, makes a great crayfish!

but i just started using dubbing loops and they are great! so many ways to tweak flies to your liking

Thanks bud, your flies are great can't wait to try to tie em. That's a good idea with the scudback back to- your just full of brilliance!

kirk, yes it is stu thompson,

i worked with him until recently and he is a very good tyer, learnt a whole lot in the short amount of time, but now he has moved on to work elsewhere

hopefully i will meet up with him fishing sometime.

also saw all the photos, they are top notch!

also finally got some true rabbit fur dubbing and crytal dubbing to make some true ddh's and other patterns, been doing lots of expitimenting and tweeking with some they are starting to look like something a fish would really like

thanks all! i am really ecstatic to hear all the positive and people wanting to tie their own! ive only just started tying and i really enjoy it! hearing good reviews on some of my stuff feels great!

planning on whipping up some new variations tomorrow will post results!

Good ties, what hooks are you useing? gota love dubbing loops, I use loops or dub brush on almost all of mt flies. What the heck is a ddh?