Fly Tying
shoebop

17 year cicada

That was not my experience. The water was not wadeable until the hatch was almost over and the fish were still feeding on the cicadas. It may have been they had not gorged themselves earlier due to the higher water. Wish I could have fished it earlier in the hatch when the bugs were more plentiful. It was incredible fishing and brought up some big trout.

I tried one this morning. It's pretty crude but it will probable work. I don't like the eyes...too big and orange instead of red. I will get some beads from my sis later and I don't like how the wings turned out. Any ideas there?

post-35746-0-00349000-1365957385_thumb.jpgpost-35746-0-29628300-1365957411_thumb.jpg

I know its not imitative, but would a booby work? The foam eyes are red, all the buoyancy you need, black chenille body and rubber legs. Marabou overwing? Very easy to tie.

Saw these on an inferior forum. They are nice flies and I believe the guy said the eyes are map pins. Pretty cool idea!

cicadaflies2.jpg

Some nice looking flies. From my experience with these bugs, they land in the water with their wings splayed, not folded. I would go with a tie that has that feature.

Some nice looking flies. From my experience with these bugs, they land in the water with their wings splayed, not folded. I would go with a tie that has that feature.

I was wondering about that. I think I will try to tie some that way.