Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bubba_Da_Man

Hide Tanning

I have several rabbits that I plan on harvesting for their hides. I'm wanting to make zonker strips with theses hides. If anyone on here has any experience with tanning hides, I would appreciate some help.

I have done a little research and know that I need the hide to be "waterproof" so that the hair doesnt fall out when dying and while being fished. I read that drying the hides with borax before starting a chemical tan would lock in the hair.

What would y'all recommend?

my friend is a taxidermist this is what he does after you skin the animal make sure you flesh it ( the skin) very well so there is no fat left on it then they are salted and air dryed until they are completely dried then they go into the chemical tan you can buy the tanning chemicals from mackenzie or wasco be very careful when you tan you have to keep the solution at the right ph and it needs to be checked often, after skin has been in the solution for the right amount of time (times vary by brands) then you neutralize the solution and skin and dry the skin

You might also try Van Dykes taxidermt supply. They offer kits with everything you would need to complete your project at a reasonable price. I don't know how to put a link on here, but you can find it at vandykestaxidermy.com. There is some decent videos on youtube about taxidermy also...

Hi bubba,

Rocky Mountain dubbing manufacturer a tanning kit for several different stores. You might give them a call a see how you go about getting one of their kits. The address is below:

http://www.rmdstore.com/

Take care & ...