Fly Tying
eastern fly

Official Carp Time Swap

Sorry ,,,I didn't see my name on the list. I will be submitting my variation of the Blind Squirrel. How many do we need to send?

Sorry ,,,I didn't see my name on the list. I will be submitting my variation of the Blind Squirrel. How many do we need to send.

At the moment 12.

Kevin

I'll probably tie Mike's Carp Candy. It's my #1 producer.

Question(s) for those involved: are you generally fishing shallow water, and is the water generally clean or dirty?

OK, my fly will most likely be black, then. I fish both conditions, also, but black seems to be the #1 color in off-color water for carp, at least for me.

I thought I'd post this resource for some of you who might be wondering what to tie for this swap. I'm sure some of you are already familiar with this publication but for those who are not check it out. Check out particularly the article on carp fly swap.

Lots of good ideas.

http://www.carppro.net/CarpPro/Current_issue.html

I'm throwing mine in the mail today, a my version of the McTage's leather trouser worm. Orange barred rabbit strip. The weight is where I differ. Instead of a beadhead and chain eyes forming the tripod weight base, I have a bead chain keel coming off near the eye. I left them long so you can snip a bead or two off to adjust your sink rate. The leather strip has a piece of foam on the backside to keep it floating straight up. I played around with these in the sink for a while and I think that you'll really like how they sit underwater.

I may "use" you guys as a test for a minor modification to the Carp Candy I like. I picked up some Senyo Shaggy Dub, which is like little micro spandex leg material. Very cool stuff. I am blending some of that in with Spectrablend nymph dubbing I usually use in my brush machine. The result is a dubbing brush with lots of little leggies. With black dubbing I added chartreuse Shaggy Dub, orange dubbing with black Shaggy Dub, and brown dubbing with orange Shaggy Dub. I'll do a test pattern and see what they look like, but I think it will work really well. Three brushes I spun last night:

DSC_0006-6_zps40757fcc.jpg

I may "use" you guys as a test for a minor modification to the Carp Candy I like. I picked up some Senyo Shaggy Dub, which is like little micro spandex leg material. Very cool stuff. I am blending some of that in with Spectrablend nymph dubbing I usually use in my brush machine. The result is a dubbing brush with lots of little leggies. With black dubbing I added chartreuse Shaggy Dub, orange dubbing with black Shaggy Dub, and brown dubbing with orange Shaggy Dub. I'll do a test pattern and see what they look like, but I think it will work really well. Three brushes I spun last night:

DSC_0006-6_zps40757fcc.jpg

They look good. I was thinking of something on the lines of that and making my own.

Kevin

I used some Senyo Shaggy Dub in my pattern for the swap , however I didn't use it in a dubbing loop. I probably should have. It is not a prominent feature on my fly.