Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crotalus

For big streamers do you always match the thread color to the material

I am curious how others approach this when tying up big streamers. I have about 6 bobbins spooled up with different colored thread - black, white, yellow, red, chartreuse and mono and keep a box with more colors nearby if needed.

I was all over the place in the colors I was tying yesterday and had to keep grabbing different bobbins and finally at the end of the night I was tying a streamer that could have used a brown/tan thread but I didnt feel like digging out that spool and putting it on one of my bobbins then replacing it when done. I started looking at the flies I tie and when they are complete there is very little visible thread on them. I ended up tying the last fly with black and it turned out fine.

I am thinking of just going with black, white and mono from here on out. For small mayflies, caddis and nymphs I can see the benefit to using color coordinated thread as it is much more visible but I am not really convinced it is needed on big flies.

Who does it this way and who changes based on the material colors?

Most streamers I tie, the material covers the thread wraps everywhere but the hook eye. In that sense, you can use just white thread and color your last few wraps with Sharpie if you want to match the material color. I don't do that all the time, but have done it and it works great. I don't go out of my way to make sure it matches the streamer color perfectly, I don't feel like it makes that much of a difference.

On a side note, for some streamers I have really come to love mono thread.

I usually tie with light thread, and color it with a marker when needed.

I use black, white and red. I use white on light colored flies, black on darker flies and red, when the mood strikes. If I'm using white on a light colored fly, I may color the thread like Cream mentions. I use red because I like red and it would be to many flies at times to use a marker on those heads when I can just use red thread.

Kirk

I have 4 colors I use:

- black

- red

- white

- clear monofilament

Most material covers my thread. The red will stand out on occasion and that's fine. I do match my white patterns with white thread, and will use monofilament fishing line to tie some streamers where I don't really want to see thread, but its mostly for aesthetic reasons.

Larger streamers i use 2 things really, just a clear mono which shows the natural colour once head cement hits it and GSP in white if i have been splitting it or doing wirey brushes for strength. Never really considered using a coloured thread to finish off, red might make the baitfish look like it is wearing lipstick which is uncool!

I color-coordinate all my heads and often over-wrap with crystal flash, but it certainly isn't necessary. The fish don't give a hoot one way or the other, it's just a way of adding a nice touch. White thread and a marking pen will get you any place you want to go. Or mono, if you're so inclined.

I often try to match the thread but sometimes prefer not to for effect. I like to use pink thread on an all white fly, for some reason the fish seem to like the pink nose

One thing PJ knows is how to color coordinate

post-18514-0-40701500-1366391088_thumb.jpg

One thing to be aware of is that some materials become translucent when wet. If you are using such then the colour of the thread is important as it will show despite being "covered" when you tie the fly. Otherwise it doesn't really matter.

If you want to colour the head the easiest way to do it is to run out enough thread from your bobbin when you start to form the head and colour that with a marker pen. Then form the head. Much easier than trying to colour the head after you have formed it.

Cheers,

C.

I tie with whatever color I want the head to be. Usually, I go for lighter colors for the head ... imagining this be a key target in the coffee colored water I fish. If the body of the fly in lighter, I'll go dark thread.

The other thing that got me thinking was that on most of my flies the head isnt even visible. most of them have a fish skull or sculpin helmet or eyes or a shaggy dubbing brush collar that covers or at the very least obscures the thread.

For synthetic EP style baitfish i use mono, when I am using bucktail, deer hair or rabbit zonkers I use regular or GSP thread.

Jam, you're mentioning lipstick is on the right track but dismissing it, you may be missing out on all those male fish that aren't hungry and sill jump on anything with lipstick!

AGN, you didn't realize PJ invented Garanimals for Sears back in the 1970's.

Kirk

Jam, you're mentioning lipstick is on the right track but dismissing it, you may be missing out on all those male fish that aren't hungry and sill jump on anything with lipstick!

AGN, you didn't realize PJ invented Garanimals for Sears back in the 1970's.

Kirk

I didn't really invent Garanimals. I just copied the critters I used to see jumping out of the walls back in the wild and crazy 1960s. Between Garanimals and the ones I sold to Jim Henson, I haven't had to work in 30 years. And to think, Mom always said I'd never amount to anything.