Fly Tying
daveshepherd

Hook Position - Clousers

Are all Clousers meant to be tied with the the hook facing up or does it depend on where you tie in the weighted eyes? Does tying the eyes on the top make the fly swim upside down or tied on the bottom of the shank swim conventionally? This is my first post. Great site!

Eyes tied on the top of the shank (so hook bends below) makes the hook flip over IF the eye is large enough. Some heavy wire hook and small eyes may not flip. Eye under the shank will cause it to swim with point down but will also close the effective hook gape, so bear this in mind.

It is upto you if you want them to fish up or down and really depends on the structure you are fishing around.

I'm with Piker20. Also if your going to put eyes on the bottom use a long shank hook so it dose not affect the hook ups with fish. Food for thout and (Tight Lines)!!!!!!!!

Since Bob Clouser ties it with the hook point up, I would say that is the correct way. As with any fly, it can be altered any way you want. However, is it still a Clouser? I say if you tie it so the hook point rides down, it is not a Clouser....just something similar.

Dave, welcome to the site! The Clouser Deep Minnows are designed to ride with the hook point up to aid in preventing them from snagging the bottom. They were initially intended for Smallmouth Bass in rivers like the Susquehanna where there is a great deal of rocks on the bottom.

That style of fly also can be made to ride with the point up by using buoyant materials, such as bucktail, inside the hook bend even when using very small & light eyes. If you're familiar with Bendback style flies, they often do not have barbell or bead chain eyes & still ride hook point up because of the use of buoyant materials.

I agree with heavynets. The Clouser Minnow is a style & the hook point up attitude is a component of the style. Tie with the point down & it's no longer a Clouser Minnow.

+1 what HN and TWF said.

Just because you put metal eyes on a hook does not make the fly a "Clouser" fly. The Clouser Deep Minnow is a specific style designed to swim in a particular way.

Also, Bob Clouser has popularized many other flies, including a Clouser FLOATING minnow, the excellent Clouser Crayfish, Clouser Hellgramite, and others. SO, just calling a fly a "Clouser" is kind of pointless although the Deep Minnow is the best known.

Hi All. Thanks for your input. Specifically fishing the Clousers in the rock and surf. It is one of the most popular flies for saltwater on the Natal Coast in South Africa. Variety of specis have been caught on the Clouser. I will experiment with the suggestions made above.