Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SCOwens

Custom Fly Tying Bench

So for about 6 months now I have been contemplating making a new bench due to my space slowly getting smaller. Well had a good day to do it, really windy and median temperatures outside so I headed over to my father-in-laws house and got to work. He does carpentry and cabinet work and has all the tools to make it happen. We are thinking about making these custom and selling them. Shoot me a message with any interest.

Simon O

post-44625-0-50774100-1366805756_thumb.jpg

I built this with holders for my deer hair packers and my clear cure goo

post-44625-0-76723700-1366805811_thumb.jpg

Never have enough spots for Scissors and Bobbins, even included 9 holes for the smaller items such as hackle pliers and bobbin threaders

post-44625-0-89849800-1366805957_thumb.jpg

My main issue with my old desk was Thread Spool holders, well my new one holds 40 Spools

post-44625-0-24635400-1366806061_thumb.jpg

Testing out the new vise, had just finished a baitfish pattern, and was trimming away

post-44625-0-35757200-1366806262_thumb.jpg

Makes a nice back drop for flies also

post-44625-0-87189400-1366806444_thumb.jpg

If you are interested message me, the options are endless with these desks, price would be dependent on how large it was and what customizations you would like.

I hope I can help other with not having enough room haha

that's beautiful. i have a much more utilitarian set-up that i made with mostly leftover lumber...lol. it works great but it ain't pretty like yours. excellent work!

you did a good job matching the desk to your equipment and tying style, this desk will be inspirational in the next one I build.

I will probably make a better one to hold my flash and legs, also a new dubbing brush maker .... I enjoy making stuff

Yes, I have one that I am using, but I need to make a new one that incorporates all the new goodies I made...dubbing brush maker....epoxy dryer.....plus all my other gadgets....like electric hair clippers to get every bit of usable fur off a hide...works real well too, especially if you keep the blades sharp, I also have a little coffee grinder for mixing dubbing...a small blender for larger batches of dubbing....my trusty Dremel, without which I would not be able to create the poppers that are a hit with the guys who do a lot of Bass fishing on the weekends...that's pretty big around here, especially since I live close to the Tennessee River, with all the dam created lakes, a bass tournament every single weekend from March until October...and then a few during the winter for the real die hards....

But I must say thought that the workbench Simon created could almost qualify as functional art...it is a very nice piece of work...hope mine turns out half that good...

If you use a tablesaw, Don't even consider pushing a piece of goods thru the blade without at least a push stick or other aids. So easy to be hasty,,I almost cut my left finger off three wks. ago. Almost everything in my plans is on hold for the next several months. Next time you use the saw, Pay attention and listen to that voice. Not like me.

Wow, glad you didn't lose the use permanently. I know what you mean though, saw a guy cut his thumb off when I was in HS shop class....wasn't paying attention and wasn't using a push stick, (which I always use now, no matter what I am cutting), and there goes the first joint of his thumb....eeewww....it was nasty....but, he cut off the right thumb and he is left handed....was a lefty even before he cut his thumb though...