Fly Tying
Salmonfisher109

What hackles for Adams

This might be of some help. One are cream neck hackles dabbed with a black marker and the other are brown saddle hackles dabbed with the same marker.

011-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

Sorry for the bad photos, but you can get the idea.

hi what flys can i make using those two capes

I like to tie elk hair caddis with furnace hackle. I really like a UV tan ice dub body with the furnace hackle.

Nice tip Hairwing.

I think what most are trying to say is you can't tie an Adams with black and furnace. Now you can tie many different flies using the same template as the Adams. Just change the dubbing color and use the hackle you have. You can use any color of fly you want but what you are really after is matching what insects you have locally. The Adams is a great general fly though that can cover a lot of insect territory.

If you want to tie an Adams. You really should have a brown and a grizzly hackle or you can substitute a true cree hackle. If you can't get the grizzly at the nearest shop then you may have to go online. I wouldn't hesitate. Every fly tyer should have a brown and a grizzly hackle.

going to a shop today see what i should get any tips for stuff i should buy for fly tying?

Just for tying an adams or for tying in general? If the former, as close to grizzly and brown hackle as you can find, adams grey dubbing, and something for a parachute if you want to tie the parachute adams. If the latter, what do you have and what do you want to tie?

You can make your own hackle gauge. All you need is a piece of foam backed card stock aka as poster board, or a piece of firm card stock that you can glue to a piece of foam later. Then you need a ruler with 1 mm increments. Measure your hook gaps (distance from the shank down to the barb,) multiply by 1.5. Use a push pin to use to bend the hackle around. After you have a set of measurements, draw a line on the card stock and mark them for your hook sizes. You could use a drawing compass to draw concentric circles (or short arcs,) but a line will do.