Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Switch Rods for saltwater

I'm thinking of building one for beach and flats. Does anyone here have any experience with them in saltwater?

I've used my 15ft spey rod in salt and for surf with a shooting head it has its plus points but mostly I use a 10ft 'traditional' rod. I can see the benefit of a slightly longer rod as the margin has a lot of kelp and snags and there are times I don't need distance and a roll cast would make for easy fishing. I keep looking at 11'6 and 12' rods but have yet to bite the bullet.

I use a 15-foot two-hander (obviously, not a switch rod) in the surf occasionally, although I do more overhead casting than actual Spey casting with it. The chief advantage with it is that I can pick up a huge amount of line and put the fly right back where I want it. The downside is that it's tough to use in the wind and not good for much when the fish are in tight. A buddy of mine uses a 12-foot switch rod from the beach, and he says he's caught a lot of fish he wouldn't have been able to reach with a conventional rod. If I didn't already have more rods than brains, I'd definitely pick up a 12-footer for the surf. I might do it anyway if I can find a deal.

I fish a rainshadow 10 ft.8 inch,6 wt switch and also a10 ft. 8 inch 8 wt switch in the salt i both Florida and Cape cod. I think you would like one if you want to get more distance and save your shoulders. Most castes are made with both hands and one or two back casts. Of course you can also use the shorter ones like mine with one hand.

They also have to have a different line to make them preform properly.

Hope this was helpful Chuck

I use a 15-foot two-hander (obviously, not a switch rod) in the surf occasionally, although I do more overhead casting than actual Spey casting with it. The chief advantage with it is that I can pick up a huge amount of line and put the fly right back where I want it. The downside is that it's tough to use in the wind and not good for much when the fish are in tight. A buddy of mine uses a 12-foot switch rod from the beach, and he says he's caught a lot of fish he wouldn't have been able to reach with a conventional rod. If I didn't already have more rods than brains, I'd definitely pick up a 12-footer for the surf. I might do it anyway if I can find a deal.

I believed your story up until you said "a buddy of mine".. tongue.png

I believed your story up until you said "a buddy of mine".. tongue.png

Actually, he's one of the few jetty fishermen in RI who doesn't have a restraining order out on me due to territorial disputes during the albacore run. The guy also doesn't see very well, which probably accounts for the fact that he's still unaware of the machete I carry in my jetty bag for persuasion puposes. Hey, when you have a rep like mine, you take your friends wherever you can find them. I consider anyone who hasn't thrown a brick at me in the past 30 days to be a fishing buddy.

I use one of the Beulah Surf 7/8 wt in the surf around here; my one hander hasn't seem much use since I got it.

Thanks for the input. I just ordered a St. Croix Imperial 11' 8wt.

I'm a fan of St. Croix rods. That one looks badass.