Fly Tying
scottross09

Pacific Northwest dry fly box

I am in the process of rebuilding my dry fly box. I live in north Idaho. What are some staples. I have tied caddis, stimulators, and Adams.

Green Drakes? A green drake cripple (quigley style) works well on the St. Joe and NF Cd'A. I would suspect others.

Griffith's gnat.

Turk's tarantula is a great attract pattern. I fish those and stimulators in the riffles any time of day. x-caddis work well in addition to elk hair patterns, and sparkle or iris caddis are deadly before the evening caddis hatch. The purple haze and hares ear parachutes work well in addition to the parachute adams. I do not use nymphs very often because it is such great dry fly water, but soft hackles are my go to when things slow down and they work very well. A great resource for our area is Fly tying: the anglers art. It is a local show that runs on the pbs stations. You can get some of the older episodes here: http://www.kwsu.org/Offers/FlyTying.aspx.

Just got back from 2 days on the North Fork of the CDA. Caught my biggest cutthroat on a purple haze. Then cleaned up on the same pattern tied with orange uni flexx instead of purple.

Turk's tarantula is a great attract pattern. I fish those and stimulators in the riffles any time of day. x-caddis work well in addition to elk hair patterns, and sparkle or iris caddis are deadly before the evening caddis hatch. The purple haze and hares ear parachutes work well in addition to the parachute adams. I do not use nymphs very often because it is such great dry fly water, but soft hackles are my go to when things slow down and they work very well. A great resource for our area is Fly tying: the anglers art. It is a local show that runs on the pbs stations. You can get some of the older episodes here: http://www.kwsu.org/Offers/FlyTying.aspx.

Thanks for posting the link for PBS, dogsnfish. I've never seen this before, and look forward to watching some of the episodes.