Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
picketpin

drift boats

HI guys does any one out there know if they make a drift boat kit .I was thinking on building a pram at first but my grandson are getting bigger so Ill either get some plans of the net or a kit .Tight lines Mike dunno.gif dunno.gif

Yes, there are a few places that sell kits. Do a websearch for Don Hill or Greg Tatman (think that's how it's spelled). Those are two off top of my head. But if you do a websearch, you should be able to find a bunch.

Without knowing about your area....

What type of of rivers are you looking to float? A buddy of mine has a Spring Creek Pram they built from a kit, but on some of the Western Rivers, it won't cut it.

Wood looks great, but without a protective shield, it could suffer great damage, in some systems

Shoe brings up a good point. Certain boats just don't cut it. And, building wood does add certain "upkeeping" you would normally not have to do. If you do go with wood, it's wise to install a layer of UHMW to the hull of the boat. This strengthens the boat and also adds to the ability to "slide" off rocks, etc. Some boat makers (even aluminum) are adding this composite to the bottom of their boats. Just a warning, it's pricey per sheet. It's best to get the BIGGEST boat kit you will likely THINK you'll use. Too many people I know go and buy a boat thinking "it's all I'll use NOW". Then, few months later, find out it's too small, or find if they take people it's not enough boat.

Good thing you mention the shield, Jerry

It's available on glass as well. Hyde offers a boot that's able to withstand a shot with a .22

It's pricey, but I'll have it on my new one

Yeah, I added aluminum only because most think they just "coat it" the bottoms. Yeah, I've seen the video with the Hydes. Amazing.

Thank you for all your info for a drift boat thankyou irish for Don Hills web site I will be ordering some plans now to decide on the size? wink.gif again thank you vwry much.Tight lines MIKE

If you have to worry more about drag then impact, there is a product called Gluvit that does a good job. Its also easy to apply.

Sign in to follow this