Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Tinkering with another carp pattern

I wanted to try a bulkier, slightly larger fly for carp in my area. Most of my flies are on shorter shank hooks as large as #6 ranging down to #10's. I cranked these test patterns out last night. The recipe is as follows:

Hook: #6 Dairiki crawfish (bent shank) hook

Eyes: medium lead

Tail: marabou/rubber legs

Body: dubbing brush, mix of Spectrablend nymph dubbing and Senyo Shaggy Dub

Head/Collar: spun deer hair

DSC_0083_zps9aff8721.jpg

DSC_0066_zpsafc9a412.jpg

Sort of like some of the redfish "slider" patterns I have seen. It has a bulkier body and head, good profile, and the medium lead eyes with the loosely packed deer hair head should let it get down plenty fast enough. I think the smallies will dig it, too, but intend to use it on carp.

Looks like you got the carp bug as bad as me right now.Those are lookin' mighty purdy. Very similar to what I am tying for the carp swap.your carp vid is cool looks like a fun place to fish, sorry if I am wrong but, you are in Ohio? looks very nice, a little cold for this California surf bum. How long untill the carp fishing slows down in your neck of the woods? I got till mid october or so before they go night night for the winter.

Looks like you got the carp bug as bad as me right now.Those are lookin' mighty purdy. Very similar to what I am tying for the carp swap.your carp vid is cool looks like a fun place to fish, sorry if I am wrong but, you are in Ohio? looks very nice, a little cold for this California surf bum. How long untill the carp fishing slows down in your neck of the woods? I got till mid october or so before they go night night for the winter.

I fished them into September the last two years and still found plenty of feeding fish. The lake where I filmed that last outing is about a 60 minute drive from home, so I don't make it as often as I would like. It's a great little lake for them, though, and I am about their only fly fishing pressure. And yes, I am in Ohio. We don't have the pretty trout streams where I am, so I have to make due with what I have to work with! :)

Ya, I here ya, I Dont really have any good trout around my area. Who needs trout anyway, When you got golden bones. Fish for what you have at home, that is how you get time on the water. I love dreamin' about Montana and Mexico and Alaska and... But use what you got.

Cream anytime you need to trout fish Michigan isn't that far away and you got a fishing buddy right here

I'm actually planning a Lake Michigan carp trip for next summer!

thats a good looking fly. I need to get out and fish for some carp but damn work gets in the way. One of my favorite fish on a fly!!

I tested this fly briefly on Sunday, didn't find any fish on my outing to cast to but saw it in the water. It looks really good. The lead offsets the deer hair well and it falls at about the rate I was hoping. It also sits tail-up a little thanks to the bent shank craw hook, so I think it will be a winner. Winner winner carp dinner? :)