Fly Tying
salty fly

How many species have you landed on the fly

I stand in awe of you guys and your ability to distinguish the difference between the sunfish species. All I know for sure are crappies and bluegills. The others are a mystery to me, but they sure can be pretty.

I've never seen a green sunfish, but pumpkin seed have light blue lines on their cheeks and redears have what looks like a red ear, and ocean sunfish aren't really much of a sunfish wink.png

http://www.ted.com/talks/tierney_thys_swims_with_the_giant_sunfish.html

Greenies and pumpkinseeds are very similar, and easily confused. I may have caught a pumpkinseed on the fly but I am not sure. I know I have caught them on UL spinning gear.

"Check out fliflicker"

Bookmarked! Salty Fly, I was goin' to follow you around, but saw you were too far north. The only issue with South Bay beaches is in about 6 weeks, they will be flooded with sunbathers and such. I was politely kicked off once by a lifeguard because there were too many opportunities to hook a land flounder. Not kicked off the beach, kicked off the rod.

SO, The Bikini hatch is starting to hapen?

J, and others, sorry if you may have mis-read my post and my counts.

Landed on the fly are 26, I then went on to say I had caught additional fish and gave a count of my total on all tackle. I won't place that count her just to be clear

Fly only 26. Long way to go to get to my goal.

There is an excellent Bikini hatch all summer long. Sort of like a grunion run, the first few waves are sparse, but before you know it, the beach is littered with em by the thousands. I wonder what sort of fly one would use to catch a Bikini top? I don't see one on anybody's list.

I'm seriously considering a Sunday around 4 or 5pm trip. The high tide peaks at around 7:30 with sundown around 7:45. Surf is expected to be low. I'll have to tie up some size 2 clousers and take the size 2 crystal schminnows I tied previously. Maybe try my had at a crab pattern or two. I have one bookmarked that, if tied with greyish coloring, would be a perfect sand crab.

Jim, I will post a step by step of my goto surf fly, I 'll post in saltwater tying, topic Cali surf fly. Very fishie pattern.

yep I forgot to put Redear Sunfish or "shellcracker" as they call them in the armpit of the south.

tie a fly that looks like a hundred dollar bill and you will catch more bikini tops then you can deal with

ain't that the truth, but these days I hear they're getting educated and selective and most only will rise to that pattern tied in tandem, if not triple.

Wonder what my wife would think if she saw my $100 bill flies? Probably where she could find a good lawyer.

My list isn't that impressive but here it is anyway:

Rainbow Trout

Cutthroat Trout

Brook Trout

Lake Trout

Lake Whitefish

Smallmouth Bass

Largemouth Bass

Bluegill

Red Eared Sunfish

Crappie

Yellow Perch

Northern Pike Minnow

Brown Bullhead

Largescale Sucker

Sculpin (that was a fun one...)

Common Carp

Little Brown Bat (not a fish but an interesting catch)

I stand in awe of you guys and your ability to distinguish the difference between the sunfish species. All I know for sure are crappies and bluegills. The others are a mystery to me, but they sure can be pretty.

I've never seen a green sunfish, but pumpkin seed have light blue lines on their cheeks and redears have what looks like a red ear, and ocean sunfish aren't really much of a sunfish wink.png

http://www.ted.com/talks/tierney_thys_swims_with_the_giant_sunfish.html

I'm sure an ocean sunfish would respond that anything as dinky as a bluegill is the one that isn't much of a sunfish. We see them in late summer during the albacore run; they lie on their sides with those big pectoral fins sticking out of the water. I tell the tourists that they're killer whales - the kind that swim right up onto the beach after prey. I'll bet I've ruined more than one vacation at the shore. MUUUHHHHUUUUUAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Redfish

Speckled Trout

Rio Grande Cichlids- native hill country fish

Rainbow Trout

Smallmouth Bass

Guadalupe Bass- native hill country bass

Largemouth Bass

Sunfish species- several different ones but i couldnt name them if i had too

Redfish

Speckled Trout

Rio Grande Cichlids- native hill country fish

Rainbow Trout

Smallmouth Bass

Guadalupe Bass- native hill country bass

Largemouth Bass

Sunfish species- several different ones but i couldnt name them if i had too

But you already named three! Smallmouth bass, Guadalupe Bass, and Largemouth Bass :)