Fly Tying
salty fly

How many species have you landed on the fly

To date on the fly, I have caught

Bluegill, Red Eared Sunfish, Pumkinseed, Green Sunfish, Large Mouth, Small Mouth, Rock Bass, White Bass, Yellow Perch, Rainbow Trout, Golden (not the albino rainbow) Trout, Lake Trout, Brook Trout, Brown Trout, Steel-head Trout, Yellowstone, Snake River (Finespot,) Colorado Cutthroat Trouts, Crappie, Grayling, Rocky Mt. Whitefish, Flannel Mouth Sucker, Utah Chub, Chinook (King) Salmon, Bonefish, Ladyfish.

That's about 26 (depending on how one looks as sub species,) there could be more, but I really didn't track all the different panfish I would catch in Canada, New York, and Pa. I have just over 40 species so far with all tackle. Now that I have started fishing Florida, I hope to add a bunch of new fish to this list. My goal is 100 fish, and as many as I can on the fly.

LOL, I have the absolute shortest list:

Golden trout

Rainbow trout

Brook trout

I've only been fly fishing about 6 or 7 times (boy is that gonna change), mostly in the Sierra Nevada high country, so mostly Goldens. This year, I'm going to concentrate on lower elevation lakes and rivers in the Owens Valley/Eastern Sierra. I've been banned from backpacking this year due to a little "mishap" in Tehipite Valley last year. I was required by the DW to secure life insurance and a spot device of some kind before my next backpacking adventure. My boots were also thrown in the trash, but that was by me. 30 years is a good run for a pair of boots.

Jimr1961, Myself, along with many others i am sure, ENVY you to the nth on the Golden Trout. Enjoy them while you are able. Not many out there will be able to put them on their list.

Golden trout are beautiful fish. As much as I like the idea of keeping pure strains, I think that a Golden/Rainbow hybrid is the ultimate, with the exception of German Brown. It retains all of the stoutness and coloration of a rainbow, but has a wonderful gold hue to it. And, it fights like a mother. The best part about fishing goldens is the places you find yourself on the adventure.

This is Sky Blue Lake, a good three days in from the trailhead.

post-43096-0-09861700-1367536864_thumb.jpg

No, I'm not peeing, I'm fishing

post-43096-0-03563200-1367536891_thumb.jpg

This is the outlet stream of the lake

post-43096-0-81617800-1367536917_thumb.jpg

This is atop Mt. Langley at a bit over 14k. The lake at my right knee is Sky Blue Lake and the peak in the center of the photo is Mt. Whitney.

JimR you will certainly get a lot more fish. I'm not that good of a fisherman, I've just had the misfortune of being stationed all over the country and several places around the world, taking a fly rod with me, and having a spare minute here and there to use it.

If utyer can claim all-tackle, then I can certainly add a bunch more- all 5 pacific salmon, 5 or 6 kinds of catfish, striped bass, muskellunge, shad, mooneye, burbot, I'd have to really think but I know there are more.

Good Lord I forgot my one and only bonefish- on a fly- about 8 pounds, and caught in totally opposite way of fly fishing anyone would think about bonefish. Absolute blind dumb luck.

I'm seriously considering following Ironmachin around in the surf. Well, maybe not follow, but follow his lead. I used to fish the surf around Manhattan and Hermosa beach for Corbina and Barred Surf Perch with a trout rod I kept in the trunk of my car. I'd pin on a sand crab and whola, great fun. I have an 8 wt that's just dyin' to see some salt.

Back in the early '90's, before children (BC), I was a 30ish year old college student. I kept a trout rod in my car 24/7. I'd get out of class and go over to the pond in the park and fish for catfish while studying, on two days during the week, I'd make a "B" line after class to the West fork San Gabriel river for some planter trout and other times, I'd head to the surf. Man, those were the days. I fished every day, then ...... KIDS. For 12 years, I stopped fishing, stopped diving, stopped backpacking, stopped living the outdoor life and started growing vegetables and orchids. Now that the kids are in HS, I can't wait to boot their arses out so I can get back to the task of living.

JimR, You should hit the surf, so much fun never know what you will hook up with.Check out fliflicker, a So Cal surf fly fishing Board. It is great lots of cool pepole in your area. I fish the surf up in San Luis Obispo, I fish the surf a lot it is free and in our back yards.I REALLY want to help spread the word about Cali. surf fly fishing. There is not anything like it in the fly fishing world., I would love to show you how I do my Thing in the surf. After a while you will start thinking less about far off trout rivers and more about the next tide.

JimR, You should hit the surf, so much fun never know what you will hook up with.Check out fliflicker, a So Cal surf fly fishing Board. It is great lots of cool pepole in your area. I fish the surf up in San Luis Obispo, I fish the surf a lot it is free and in our back yards.I REALLY want to help spread the word about Cali. surf fly fishing. There is not anything like it in the fly fishing world., I would love to show you how I do my Thing in the surf. After a while you will start thinking less about far off trout rivers and more about the next tide.

That was the thing which was best about salt water to me--- every cast had the potential to produce ANYTHING.... even though a specific fish might be targeted, there is always the chance that something totally unexpected will happen.

trout:

-brown

-brook

-migratory brown

-steelhead

salmon:

-chinook

-coho

Warmwater:

-carp

-crappie

-bluegill

coarse:

-chub

-sucker

-koi

salt:

-bonefish

-snapper

Wow! Now there’s food for thought.

Fresh water:

Brown trout.
Brook trout
Rainbow trout
Cutthroat trout
Bull trout
Steelhead
Landlocked Atlantic salmon
Largemouth bass
Smallmouth bass
Northern pike
Whitefish
Chain pickerel
Redfin pickerel
Yellow perch
White perch
Black crappie
Bluegill
American shad
Assorted sunfish (species?)

(cut eye holes in plain brown paper bag and place over head)

Carp
Suckers
Fallfish
Squawfish
White catfish
River herring (alewives)

(Remove bag)

Salt water:

Striped bass
Bluefish
Little tunny
Atlantic bonito
Atlantic mackerel
Spanish mackerel
Speckled trout
Weakfish (squeteague, gray trout)
Pollock
Summer flounder
Jack crevalle
Red drum

(replace bag over head)

Northern sea robin
Pilot fish
Northern stargazer
Hickory shad
Scup (porgy)
Cunner

Disqualified but worthy of mention:

Herring gull
Cormorant
Snapping turtle

Jellyfish
Miscellaneous household appliances

Articles of clothing

Plastic bags
Spinning rod and reel

JetSki enthusiast

ill-mannered jetty anglers

assorted tourists

Next years list will (with a lot of luck) include one or more of the following:

Tarpon
Wahoo
White marlin
Atlantic sailfish
Dolphin
Shark
Sheepshead
Previously uncaught small tuna (I don’t want a big one - that’s for guys who like to spend five hours on one fish)

I’m sure I’ve left something out, but it was definitely not an ocean sunfish (mola mola) - even I wouldn’t have forgotten one of those.

"Check out fliflicker"

Bookmarked! Salty Fly, I was goin' to follow you around, but saw you were too far north. The only issue with South Bay beaches is in about 6 weeks, they will be flooded with sunbathers and such. I was politely kicked off once by a lifeguard because there were too many opportunities to hook a land flounder. Not kicked off the beach, kicked off the rod.

I never really thought about it, but I'll try from memory.

-rainbow trout (and steelhead)

-brown trout

-brook trout

-fallfish

-smallmouth bass

-largemouth bass

-spotted bass

-white bass

-rock bass

-longear sunfish

-green sunfish

-bluegill

-yellow perch

-redear

-warmouth

-crappie

-carp

-spotted gar

-smallmouth buffalo

-sauger

-saugeye

-channel catfish

-bluefish (my only salt species)

So either 23 or 24 species, depending on whether or not you consider Erie steelhead a separate species from rainbow trout.

I stand in awe of you guys and your ability to distinguish the difference between the sunfish species. All I know for sure are crappies and bluegills. The others are a mystery to me, but they sure can be pretty.

I stand in awe of you guys and your ability to distinguish the difference between the sunfish species. All I know for sure are crappies and bluegills. The others are a mystery to me, but they sure can be pretty.

If you want to get real picky, you can differentiate between white and black crappies. :)

I've never seen a green sunfish, but pumpkin seed have light blue lines on their cheeks and redears have what looks like a red ear, and ocean sunfish aren't really much of a sunfish ;)

http://www.ted.com/talks/tierney_thys_swims_with_the_giant_sunfish.html