Fly Tying

That's quite a piece of work Pete. We fish in very different places, I don't have much opportunity to fish flies like that. There are a couple of weeks, apparently, when we can fish for European Bass in the sea around here, but as yet we haven't located a good spot. For that reason I don't tie this sort of thing, That's not to say I'm unimpressed by the art and craft you put into them. I am, and have been inspired by the techniques you have demonstrated.

Must admit I think I would baulk at the idea of trying to cast that fly on my 14' 10 wt salmon rod. Looks amazing, bet it flies like a brick!

I notice in the picture of you with the dogs that is a different colour vice head. Are you a collector?

For a lot of years now I have been playing around drawing different vice designs. The problem I have is not having access to the kind of workshop I would need to realize them. It is surprising, or maybe it isn't, that there is marked similarity to many of them and the J Vice.

Cheers,

C.

Hi... I'm Pete and I have a Vise Vice... ['self admitted collector of kinetic sculptures that happen to hold hooks]

'in this case, started out with this fairly basic version with the desk/table stand...

IMG_1818_zpsfb8f184a.jpg

the more I used it, the better I liked it...

'got to talkin' with Jay about developing a stem knuckle [what I refer to as a KnuckleHead]...

'along came a limited run of custom Damascus steel jawz [another "had to have"] and an African hardwood base...

the list goes on...

At last years Symposium I met a great guy [stac] and his son [Zack]... they were searching for a J-Vise to see and try...

we stayed in touch, didn't need two, worked up a plan, and I eventually passed along my J to Zack... the next generation...

I've recently received a J-dubbing brush maker and a J-line spooler... 'all made to Jay's high standards...

NO regrets and NO going back...

I'll have most of my "J-gear at the Int'l Fly Tyer Symposium in November and will be honoured to be in the company of Jay Smit...

Eagerly lookin' forward to the opportunity...

'Life is GOOD...!!!

Pete, how do you like the rotation handle? I have been thinking it would be even better with rotating brass knob. Just a thought though.

The Jvise design is very ergonomic... the crank and the friction adjustment are effective and convenient... all very well thought out and executed...

I hadn't really given a brass rotation wheel option much thought...

a curious observation:

The Pamola Fly Lathe, one of the historically relevant vises in my collection, does have a knurled wheel but I still find myself primarily using the small knob for rotary orientation...

F70A0728.jpg

Hi... I'm Pete and I have a Vise Vice... ['self admitted collector of kinetic sculptures that happen to hold hooks]

'in this case, started out with this fairly basic version with the desk/table stand...

IMG_1818_zpsfb8f184a.jpg

the more I used it, the better I liked it...

'got to talkin' with Jay about developing a stem knuckle [what I refer to as a KnuckleHead]...

'along came a limited run of custom Damascus steel jawz [another "had to have"] and an African hardwood base...

the list goes on...

At last years Symposium I met a great guy [stac] and his son [Zack]... they were searching for a J-Vise to see and try...

we stayed in touch, didn't need two, worked up a plan, and I eventually passed along my J to Zack... the next generation...

I've recently received a J-dubbing brush maker and a J-line spooler... 'all made to Jay's high standards...

NO regrets and NO going back...

I'll have most of my "J-gear at the Int'l Fly Tyer Symposium in November and will be honoured to be in the company of Jay Smit...

Eagerly lookin' forward to the opportunity...

'Life is GOOD...!!!

What's the color of the feather used there?

Pete, how do you like the rotation handle? I have been thinking it would be even better with rotating brass knob. Just a thought though.

Pete, I think Rolsen is referring to the small knob on the end of the crank shaft being fixed in place. I also have a jvice and have often thought it would be nice if the knob rotated. It would make the rotary function that little bit smoother. It's not so important for fine adjustments but when winding materials onto the shaft of the hook it would be a nice feature.

What is the J-line spooler? Any chance of a pic?

Thanks.

re: pheather colour:

'may be somewhat curious and deceiving...

all Whiting Coq De Leon... a yellow chartreuse overlaid with a white and some pearl kristal flash overlaid with a medium furnace...

my "overlay blending trickery ain't necessarily what it seems" technique... 'say what...?!

the J-LineSpooler...

travel mode...

F70A1799_zps4e93ca6f.jpg

deployed/ready mode...

F70A1802_zpsf6da5aee.jpg
loaded mode...
F70A1806_zps8898a958.jpg

the J-BrushMaker...

table up...

F70A1811_zps9a6fa423.jpg
table down...
F70A1813_zps2b7148d5.jpg

Pete, I think Rolsen is referring to the small knob on the end of the crank shaft being fixed in place. I also have a jvice and have often thought it would be nice if the knob rotated. It would make the rotary function that little bit smoother. It's not so important for fine adjustments but when winding materials onto the shaft of the hook it would be a nice feature.

What is the J-line spooler? Any chance of a pic?

Thanks.

Spot on, that's what I ment.

Oh THAT brass knob...

I suspect it's held snug in place with an industrial adhesive...

free spinning "rotation" would probably require some sort of bearing and retaining ring...

I'll put the bug in Jay's ear... ya'nevah know...!?

[ inthemeantime... 'eat some french fries with your left hand and the knob will feel as if it's spinning... ]

btw: the J-flylinespooler converts into a tactical stream side vise...

Picture1_zps78e7b02e.png

Oh you shouldn't have posted that Pete. I was just sitting here on hols and thinking a mobile vise would be lovely. Now I can just take my existing head and bingo.

Pete, french fries could be the solution :D

Now, that line spooler looks fantastic!

I really enjoy using my J-Vice. Omg, I can't believe the fuss over a materials clip. If you don't like the clip get a different one...as Pete did. No biggy. Now the little rubber band that holds the Renzetti jaws together...that's an issue!

Bzzzzzzzz what's that? The hornets nest getting a poke? Watch out EZ you might be in for a stinging.

Nice! It's how I want to upgrade from my renzetti traveller. What are the must have add-ons and accessories? I tie all different sorts of flies, not well, from bass and bream to trout to tarpon.