Fly Tying
riffleriversteelheadslayer

May 2013 Flies from the vice

Bruce,

I'm sure they sell cats... Just help yourself!

Sorry I couldn't resist. If you can't find it look in your local thrift store for an old wooden framed tennis racket. They are strung with gut. Ideal for that kind of fly.

Cheers,

C.

NM n fish, thnx!

I got the cat gut from a Vet friend of mine. It apparently has an expiration and he's often throwing out partially used spools and smaller prepackaged stuff that comes in cases. I have ALOT of this stuff in various sizes and colors.

Go talk to some vets, ya never know.

Dry Flies for a change today.

Grey Wullfs

post-43582-0-67226600-1368118179_thumb.jpg

Wally Winged Weir Wullfs

post-43582-0-86256400-1368118187_thumb.jpg

Double Badgers

post-43582-0-68787300-1368118195_thumb.jpg

Made a nice change to tie a few drys. Back to the wets now.

Cheers,

C.

^ fancy looking

I am picking up where i left off, swearing at BM...Not touching it for a while i am very rusty! Ugh. Hopefully some of the next ones are a little better.

post-29540-0-46208100-1368122702_thumb.jpg

Bruce,

Sorry I couldn't resist. If you can't find it look in your local thrift store for an old wooden framed tennis racket. They are strung with gut. Ideal for that kind of fly.

Cheers,

C.

wow! really? thanks, I need some for blind eyes and that will be a lot easier than ordering! I guess it's not silk, but I'm sure it'll do the job!

Should fish well! Love how inherently unstable spey's are in the water - when you get it right they really flutter and wobble around in the seams. Just need to tighten up the wing set and body, and ribbing, and hackle lol P.s Riff you should have a package arriving soon smile.png

Bruce,

Cheers,

C.

wow! really? thanks, I need some for blind eyes and that will be a lot easier than ordering! I guess it's not silk, but I'm sure it'll do the job!

You'll find it is too thick for eyes. Good for the nymph bodies but I'm afraid you are back to the expensive stuff for gut eyes.

Sorry

C.

Thanks Bart, they are for a customer who is going to fish them on the River Wye in Derbyshire. I've only fished it once during the May Fly hatch. Its amazing to see so many big fish throwing themselves at big flies. I mean big, those Wullfs are on size 10 & 12 L/S hooks and are on the small side for the hatch.

Cheers,

C.

A pink and purple heron type spey, don't laugh it is the first time i have stuck a couple of bits of goose together. Just kept it simple.

P5092240_zps7f50f14e.jpg