Fly Tying
riffleriversteelheadslayer

May 2013 Flies from the vice

Sorry I beg to differ Colin, that first one is a Chomper not a Cruncher. As devised by Dick Walker.

Cheers,
C.

That's what I meant to write. Definately meant to be a chomper. At least it looked enough like one for you to spot it.

Some real rough and quick soft hackle types, obviously 6/0 thread is a tad big but oh well, i will wet them tomorrow.

post-29540-0-10952000-1369091614_thumb.jpg

...obviously 6/0 thread is a tad big but oh well, i will wet them tomorrow.

They seem fine with 6/0. Pearsall's Gossamer, which is traditionally used for North Country Spiders is three or four times as thick.

There are tricks you can use to cut down on the thread used. For example, with the tinsel bodied flies, start the thread (2 or 3 turns) and tie in the hackle by the tip as you start the thread, AKA Hans W. Trim off the tip just short of the length of the body.Tie in the tinsel using enough turns to make it secure, but count them. Wind the tinsel down the hook shank and back to form the body. This adds to the security of the hackle. Hold the tag end of the tinsel under tension, and count off the turns you used to put the tinsel on. Then tie down the tag end of the tinsel with 2 turns, and trim off. Wind the hackle, doubling it as you wind to get the shape. Tie down with one turn and whip finish, 3 turns, before trimming the excess. The entire fly with just 7 or 8 turns of thread. It can be done, and it is secure!

When I was taught to tie the instructor would often say, "Use your thread as if it cost £5 an inch, which, if you buy it from me, it does."

Good luck with them tomorrow, let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

C.

I know it is aweful simple and barebones, need to grab some shrimp pink flat waxed, but here is a tiny flats style clouser - used white bucktail under, then fox fur ontop which was generously given to me by bassmouth. Just kinda testing.

post-29540-0-42780500-1369346085_thumb.jpg

Been a little bit since I've tied something. So I knocked out a bunch of these.

Size 10 soft hackle scruffy things.

Untitled-1_zps12f2a619.jpg

Tail: Cock pheasant tail fibres

Rib: Fine gold tinsel

Body: Hare's ear, dubbed in a dubbing loop

Thorax: Very light olivey grey CD fibres dubbed then teased out after.

Hackle: Fibres from a Hen pheasant body feather, stripped off the stem and tied around the shank, first

No idea if it will work though hahaha

It looks good to me. Any fly with that mix should have something going for it. I hope to nip out tonight as its light till 10. Hopefully give some hares ears a swim.

Thank you Piker. Good luck for later! I'm hoping to give my Hares ear concoctions a swim tomorrow evening

nice one Wavey!

I tried these last night, size 16 scuds, and size 16 soft hackles....I can barely see the hook so please excuse me for what the macro has done. I am not that good doing things this small anymore. Anyway the dubbing i have used is a custom blend made by bassmouth from this forum. The scuds i didn't even bother ribbing and just little epoxy backs (i am sure the fish won't care about my grand mess lol).

post-29540-0-51550200-1369426395_thumb.jpg

post-29540-0-75045000-1369426409_thumb.jpg