Fly Tying
riffleriversteelheadslayer

May 2013 Flies from the vice

First time posting a picture so lets cross our fingers....Just a little stonie I have been working on.

IMG_20130505_102029_zpsc46ff212.jpg

Oops, posted this on the wrong month.

I am one of those who actually saves money by tying my own flies. Since I am fishing for Large Mouth Bass and sunfish, duplicating nature isn't as necessary.

So I am playing with cricket/hopper patterns and using the stuff I have on hand.

Golf clothes colors do well for bass and bream, so this Mike's Golfing Cricket is one I finished a few minutes ago.

theres no chenille used in that fly

no, I meant I'll sub the feather for flat chenille and see how it turns out. I'll tie some up with feather too.

some are tied on a jig hook and some tied on a curved shank hook

however, the hook is really irrelevant as those flies can be tied on whatever hook you have on hand

First stim. I had a hard time with this one. I think the coastal deer hair made it harder than it needed to be and the front hackle fought me no matter how I tied it in. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with that front hackle but its wearin me out.

post-46683-0-78346100-1368383988_thumb.jpg

post-46683-0-79370500-1368384001_thumb.jpg

First stim. I had a hard time with this one. I think the coastal deer hair made it harder than it needed to be and the front hackle fought me no matter how I tied it in. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with that front hackle but its wearin me out.

looks good I love stimis only thing I would suggest is a bit longer tail