Fly Tying
riffleriversteelheadslayer

May 2013 Flies from the vice

That's a good pattern I'll be pinching.

Thanks, Piker; the Bird of Prey is a great pattern that looks excellent in the water!

TC

In the warmwater thread, I asked about synthetics, The FTD pack came, and these are some from that.

And some wolly buggers, and finally a schlupin with a fish skull!

post-48331-0-40807700-1368398526_thumb.jpg

Green over white/baitfish

post-48331-0-34058700-1368398528_thumb.jpg

orange over white/baitfish

post-48331-0-09551000-1368398532_thumb.jpg

Rabbit with Fish skull

post-48331-0-98886000-1368398556_thumb.jpg

an old standard in purple

Some quickly tied intruders, bunny leeches and tubes for fishing tomorrow...they are certainly fishing flies.

post-45233-0-83900500-1368401486_thumb.jpg

Finally got time away from work for vise time.. This is a new musky style fly ive been working on for a local shop. A lot of times musky can chew up flies pretty good so I wanted to make a way to change out rear hooks/tails in case this happens. To do this I made the head of the fly a tube. Tied up my own shanks attached to a rear hook and tied "tails". Ive done some testing and it looks like its gonna work out awesome. I plan on doing 5 color patterns or so and then the angler can swap whatever color tail they want. Here are so "heads" I tied today. I will post the tail section tomorrow or so. Just dont have any pics of it yet.

a9472866-a507-456c-93cf-4f7217cdc84f_zps

2b6d894b-0a2f-4549-9bd5-3cf4a27b3e70_zps

Here is a crummy cell phone picture of a complete fly

1f8a9cb7-1f9b-4a1b-ba99-2190690f4ad3_zps

And a random deciever..

dbe82b14-ccb3-407f-b1a6-52aa09033513_zps

They should work great Ben. You could even tie just the tail on if they were hitting smaller prey, I know pike can get fixed on small stuff.

Thanks piker. That's the beauty of the system! I can tailor it a bit to what the fishies like!

Finally got time away from work for vise time.. This is a new musky style fly ive been working on for a local shop. A lot of times musky can chew up flies pretty good so I wanted to make a way to change out rear hooks/tails in case this happens. To do this I made the head of the fly a tube. Tied up my own shanks attached to a rear hook and tied "tails". Ive done some testing and it looks like its gonna work out awesome. I plan on doing 5 color patterns or so and then the angler can swap whatever color tail they want. Here are so "heads" I tied today. I will post the tail section tomorrow or so. Just dont have any pics of it yet.

Great fly Ben, I've been working on trying to figure out how to incorporate "modular" tails into my musky flies to be able to vary the color patterns. I hadnt consider a tube method though

A couple hellgrammites I've been working on. Currently the back is foam, I think i am going to try a 1/4" wide stretch material with some shine to it. Also need to figure out better pincers. The left fly is articulated, the hook is a Gama B10S size 2, uses tungsten beads for weight, the rear portion is a Fish Skull shank. I want to use two hooks, but havent found the right one for the rear hook yet. The right is a single hook, jig style with a 60 deg bend at the eye.

8738308788_1c43249a6a_c.jpg

Thanks Crotalus! Its working out pretty good so far. I still need to take a picture of the shank. I made them specifically for this fly.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="riffleriversteelheadslayer" data-cid="551329" data-time="1368545382"><p>

I tied these for the May swap club I love these when the trout are rising to the sulphurs its like crack to them<br />

<a href='http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=41424'>yellowsally.jpg</a></p></blockquote>

Makes me wish i didnt have to drop out of sc man, whats the pattern on those? Sulphers are on here in PA.

Tater Sac...just some pheasant fibers for the tail, and a plastic mesh tater sac for the body and ribbing (idea borrowed from Hans...thank ya sir), and peacock herl abdomen, pheasant for the hackle

Hackle swept back

May132013002_zpscf97a3ed.jpg

and hackle standing out...

may132013001_zpscb23bc5a.jpg

Murray