Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DrVette

Very First Fly Tied Ever!

post-14864-0-85442000-1367624568_thumb.jpg

I bet you think it is me...yeah I know I'm not great but...

No this is the very first fly tied by 11 year old Nevaeh.

Back ground needed here. She is my ex's grand daughter...So maybe my ex-grand-daughter...I don't know, I can't figure it out. But my ex's daughter showed up on my doorstep last week begging for a place to stay...this economy BLOWS GIANT CHUNKS! Along with her are a 4 month old, a 6 year old and an 11 year old.

While trying to come up with a new tie for a swap she sat down and did what all kids do...get into EVERYTHING, ask a million questions and jump around at near light speed.

After about an hour I gave up on getting anything tied and she was begging me to try. Well apparently she was watching better than I can understand how since she never holds still for more than 10 seconds. This is her VERY FIRST TRY. I only had to explain the whip finish once. I wish my first fly came out even close to this one. She even got the minimal needed for a good dubbing-loop...I didn't learn what a dubbing-loop was for years. I wish now i had picked a better hook (14 long) and materials for this fly...maybe this means it is time to just let her tie my ideas and retire??? A little education on proportions and she should be an ace in no time. We will see.

Sorry but this is the best pic out of about 15...my camera stinks and that is why I almost never post pics.

All i can say is that she LOVES spinning the "top" for the dubbing loop...i am suprised the thread held up. I thought throwing the dubbing loop at her would get her out of my hair...i was WRONG! The more toys, the more she likes it.

Very cool, I just started dubbing loops this year, the hackle is actually reasonably gauged, tail could be longer, but it might start to look weird on that long shank.

My grand daughter tied her first flies @ about the same age. I started her on craft foam spiders. The problem is she is 400 miles away. I have also given her a glass 5wt rod but it has not been wet since. Her dad is a hardware chucker.

Sorry but this is the best pic out of about 15...my camera stinks and that is why I almost never post pics.

Maybe you need to let her do the camera chores as well. hehehe

Great story. My 6 year old grandson is also interested in tying. I say anything that focuses their boundless energy in a positive way like this is certainly welcome. Give lots of praise and encouragement....and thanks for sharing.

Well you might get to see more of her soon??? Her mom SAID she wants to make a video of her tying with her cell-phone...I hate cell-phones because i have lost 3 1/2 cars to idiots that don't know to put them down while driving. The half is from a moron cop on his cell phone (i saw as he tried to pass) on an icy bridge...he got mad because i slowed way down before crossing the span, he tried to pass and spun out catching the nose of my car and putting me into the curb...i still can't figgure out what is wrong with the suspension. Another by a mail-man while my car was parked in front of my house. Another by a gal who couldn't be bothered with stop signs while gabbing, and the other was my ex was stopped at a light when a kid rear-ended her. It is going to be extremely hard to get past all that to change my mind on cell-phones. But if she does give me the video to post it might help a little.

But Neveah is bugging me to take her fishing. I have been whining for months that i need some-one to go with me. She is too small to drag my fat behind out of the river but at least she can point out where my bloated corpse went in and call for help. I am thinking it might be time to introduce her to a fly rod. Any spinning reels i have must have 15-20 years on their lines and i am too cheep (broke actually) to buy new line. It would be very funny if her first fish was on a fly rod. I actually sat up till after 2am thinking about how i might make that work. I wonder if she will understand 10 and 2 o'clock? If so i might be able to teach her just enough to get out there...but i am running out of time. They will be opening up the spilllways on the Pueblo resevoir in a matter of days and the deeper water is too dangerous for me much less an 11 year old. Maybe this the universe answering my pleas in an unexpected way???

I will keep updating on her progress...it might be interesting to watch.

Good fly and its good to see some of the better sides of humanity shining through, not all folks would help their own blood never mind someone else.

Three cheers for you my friend.

Well, i tried to teach her basic casting but found after about 20 minutes that she just doesn't have enough development in her wrist and fore-arm to make it work. I really don't know how old she needs to be to be able to get the nice snap from 10 to 2 and back again. All i know is she got to fishing with her cousin today (bait & spin) while i am still stuck in my troll cave...my new name...cave troll. Thus is life. At least everyone is gone today and i can try to get some rest...started coming down with sore throat last night and totally sick today. No imune system still appearently.

Hi

For a first fly, that looks really good. For an eleven year old, it looks great! Take care & ...

I have started my grand daughter with a 6 1/2' rod. Short rods require much less strength to cast. I bet you started her on a 9 footer.

That's a real respectable fly there!! I think she did a fine job. My flies now, at 33, don't look that good!! Best of luck on her casting. Young undeveloped arms will be a challenge for a few more years.

That's excellent, you got her interested before she learned she can't do it.

A shorter lighter rod may help with the casting. Think of rod length as a factor of height of the person. A 9' rod is about 1 1/2 times my height (6' 2") A 4' tall child then should be using a rod of about 6'. That scales down the leverage accordingly. I understand that you are not about to buy her a new rod, using just the top sections of a rod may be a good way forward. If you have an old rod you could put a handle on the top sections of it, that would get her going.

Cheers,

C.