Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Christopher K

avoiding tears

My waders have seen some good use the last year and a half, I had one pinhole leak a few months back, yesterday my feet got soaked after a day of fishing and when I checked them today I found 2 small tears behind the knees, I'd rather not keep patching them if I can avoid it. Is there anything I can do to limit the risk of tearing them, maybe squat instead of kneel? Probably kind of a stupid question but if there's any precautionary measures I can be taking I'd like to be, thanks!

Funny how words in the english language can have such a different meaning.

Here you mean to avoid rips in your waders, yet when I first read the title I thought you were trying to prevent crying about something.

I thought to myself, "What does he have to cry about? This little kid has an awesome fishery at his disposal and a professional photographer to document it..."

Funny how words in the english language can have such a different meaning.

Here you mean to avoid rips in your waders, yet when I first read the title I thought you were trying to prevent crying about something.

This is exactly what i though. I was wondering why he was wanting to cry. Maybe because the waders had some kind of sentimental value or something. Than i got that he wasn't crying he was talking about his wader being cut up and ripped. wink.png

To protect breathable waders at the knees I wear gel knee pads while fishing. A side benefit is it means I can kneel down! I can't do that without some protection for my knees, old age and infirmity setting in.

Cheers,

C.

LOL, lookng back at the tile it does look like that, thanks crackaig, I'll try and see if that works, today I'll just have to get wet I guess lol!

Crackaig,,that was sound advise...a few yrs. back I slipped off a rock in fast water and pounded my right knee. Remembering an article about crawling around the stream ,,etc.,,I had a vision. among other areas of construction over the last 45 yrs. I set tile,, so,, I now use the pads all the time, including a staff and cleats and I don't care about the noise, I'm safe. To go one further,, I'm pretty sure I will be purchasing a co2 vest.

Tom, Some years ago I guided a couple on the Bolton Abbey water on the River Wharfe. It was their first trip on a river. While I was trying to get the husband onto a fish the wife wandered off. Seeing a fish rise she tried wading on her own. Fell forward into the water. They both had Hardy CO2 auto vests. The vest fired so quickly her face didn't get wet.

They are good, just don't wear a jacket over them! If they fire they will expand. If a jacket stops them expanding outwards they will expand inwards.

Cheers,

C.

There is a guy called Dave the wader man https://sites.google.com/site/wadersrepairs/ and he claims he can make brand new waders even better than they left the factory. He has some great feedback and his site is worth a look.

Looked over the reviews and it looks like some great work, I emailed him and he said that it would be $45 roughly to fix them, but $135 total if you include shipping

Yeah the shippings a killer but if you have some quality waders and his claims are true its cheaper than buying $3 or $4 hundred dollar waders again.

Yup, but I believe simms will repair or replace them for free, if they won't then I'll look around here for another repair shop, and last resort I'll go to him. Thanks again!