Fly Tying
Istripbuggers

is this a salmonfly?

Here in southwestern Colorado the Piedra River is known for its stonefly hatch during the summer, and you can get some pretty good action on the adults and the nymphs.

Don't forget that stoneflies are usually in and out of the rivers and streams when they are high and off color. I think when you use the word hatch for salmonflies, everyone knows what you're talking about no matter what it is called that they do

... I think when you use the word hatch for salmonflies, everyone knows what you're talking about no matter what it is called that they do

I vote for salmonfly hatch, too. Hatch captures the seasonal and daily rhythm of a bunch of adults appearing at once.

Fly fishermen have called all emergence's of adult insects "hatches" forever, and the phrase "salmonfly hatch" is very widely used. The fact that stoneflies "hatch" on land is important, but does not disqualify the term.

Technically, the word hatch means to emerge from an egg. So even a classic mayfly "hatch" is not a dictionary hatch. It's a metamorphosis from the nymph to dun (sub-imago). I'd be very sad to have to say all that when I spot little slate gray wings floating down the river.

Locally, we know that the "rubber hatch" means the float tubes have started, and "bikini hatch" means too hot to fish but still great to be on the river.

The Deschutes River here in Oregon goes absolutely bonkers when this comes off. Especially when they start dropping back down on the water to lay eggs. Fish hit like a freight train. Very large Sofa Pillows and Stimulators and heavy leaders! It is a bucket list type adventure. If I remember right, the migration to the shore steadily moves up river.

Salmonfly from the Colorado River by "Pumphouse" and two flies that imitate them. Both work great, yes even upside down

qyrH8oj3_t.jpg

mBKzfNCG_t.jpg

KIVxkjCk_t.jpg