Fly Tying
Bubba_Da_Man

What music do you listen to while fishing?

I would rather listen to the birds and the sound of the water moving. More than once I've heard fish jump, but not seen, and using that to decide to change to a dry fly has caught me fish. I would have probably blanked otherwise.

Also, I would be way too scared of dropping my iPod and headphones in the water.

I listen to Myron Floren...

When he does "The Beer Barrel Polka" all I can picture are "Champagne Bubbles". I throw the rod and reel well up into the the bank and play the "Air Squeeze Box" with both hands.

Makes a fishless day seem like a Bobby Burgess jig with Mary Lou !

.....a one and a two and a three.mellow.png

I admire the previous respondents mild responses but I cannot live up to that standard.

The only music I have heard out fishing was from the boom box of an ignorant mushhead with no ability to pick anything 'listenable'.

Hell. I can't even stand to watch those fly tying videos with ear splitting 'music' background unless I mute them to zero.

Rocco

I listen to Myron Floren...
When he does "The Beer Barrel Polka" all I can picture are "Champagne Bubbles". I throw the rod and reel well up into the the bank and play the "Air Squeeze Box" with both hands.
Makes a fishless day seem like a Bobby Burgess jig with Mary Lou !
.....a one and a two and a three.mellow.png

Wow! Just when I thought I'd secured the title of the craziest SOB who ever picked up a fly rod, somebody comes from out of nowhere and trounces me. A tip of the cap to a world-class loony.

Wow ... I thought I was the only one who listened to soundtracks, Steve. My favorites are "Gladiator" and "The Last Samurai". When I want a more "rock-n-roll" sound, I go for "Tron: Legacy", "Batman: The Dark Knight" or "Avatar". But like just about everyone else, I NEVER listen to music, or anything else, while fishing. Once in a while, I'll take someone out on my boat fishing ... my two rules: No radios/music players ... and no booze.

If we're talking soundtracks, I can't get enough of the songs from low and clear :)

I agree with everyone else- even Hairwing. The most annoying thing in the world is to be out fishing a quiet spot and then some jackass in a bascar comes along with a stereo playing. I rarely ever even have music on when I'm tying flies. Probably comes from the couple of decades I spent on 24/7 duty- no matter what I was doing I had to be able to hear a pager, phone, or cel phone. There are some places I've fished, such as under busy bridges, where music would not have hurt anything over the noise of the traffic. Still, there is something very out of place about music when fishing.

As a native born American Pol-ock from the Great Lakes, I know exactly what Hairwing is saying....

um-pah...uff da...depends how you like your cabbage rolls.

My mind was infected a few moonsets ago by the Judge. I've never been to the U.P. but I've been there. It's a great tune to tap your soul too!

Testament of a Fisherman

I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly; because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape; because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip; because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters; because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness; because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun.

-John Voelker (Robert Traver )

Of course you have heard it before, or maybe some haven't.......

Whether I want it or not there is always music in my head: a snippet of Bach or a gush of Bacharach, some blue from Joni Mitchell, some Black-Eyed Peas, some Black and Blue Armstrong or (if you add a bit of tan Tan) Ellington. Depends what I see or hear on the stream. A blackbird's song invokes McCartney, But it might also lead me to McFerrin. And when I am up to my crotch in foamy, roiling water I sometimes hear the naiiads singing. (The water is full of nymphs, you know.)

Funny you mention that. There's always a tune floating around in my head except when I'm fishing. Guess I'm too busy chattering in my head at that time. When I'm on the trail, it is inevitable that the tune that jumps in and sticks there is a song I can't stand, but the beat goes with my stride, so it keeps me on a pace. On several occasions, it's been Beat It, by ,,,yes, MJ. It kinda takes away from the experience, but not much. Backpacking is a lot of staring down near your feet. The best was when Suite Judy Blue Eyes wouldn't go away. I play that song in wild root tuning (the way Stephen Stills plays it) and it was cool to sing in my head and envision the chord progression as it goes along. I tell my kids that I play guitar because daddy don't sing.

Books on CD for the long drive to the area. Homing in on the target stream/hunting grounds off the 4 lanes I also like sound tracks from Master and Commander, Deadwood, We Were Soldiers Once, Gamne of Thrones -- that kind of thing. Entering the zone, sweet silence. Oh, never slam your truck door -- the trout will know.

Rocco