Fly Tying
Christopher K

What should I tie?

I just got an order from a friend who wants to start fly fishing. He wants me to make him a comprehensive starter kit of flies, just streamers and nymphs, no dries. He's most interested in small stream brook trout and browns, I think I know what I'll do for streamers but I'm a little stuck on nymphs. I told him I should be able to do it for $50, and he needs them to cover all situations all year, can you guys help me put together a list? Thanks!

For me the number one nymph is a bead head pheasant tail nymph. They are my top fish catching nymph and catch me fish all year long. wink.png

Where will he be fishing? For a general box I'd add a hare's ear nymph, soft hackle, zebra midge, stonefly and/or czech style nymph for something big and heavy, perhaps prince. Others would depend on where he is fishing.

Thanks, he'll be around southern ontario probably Great Lakes tribs headwaters.

On small streams there are two nymphs I wouldn't be without. The ubiquitous BHPTN and a small cased caddis imitation. These are the two.

Graylingbox_0001_zpse3c24d9e.jpg

The PTN is heavy, the cased caddis is very heavy. Depending on the depth I need to achieve it can have up to 3 layers of lead wire and a tungsten bead.

If you want to include something lighter you could try some of my ByColour Nymphs. Another version of the PTN that is quick and easy to tie, once you get used to the method.

BookFlies_0018_edited-1.jpg

This lends itself to tying quite small (just use thread for the body in tiny sizes, omit the yellow dyed pheasant tail).

Cheers,

C.

ok since I fish and tie alot for brookies in the great lakes tribs I might lend a hand 3 nymph musts and these are my staples for all brookie creeks in northern michigan and the UP 1. birds nest or sparrow 2. copper johns in chartruese and red 3. tan hendrickson nymph for streamers my 3 favs are 1. Mickey Finn 2. Dark Spruce 3. Harlequin

IMO nymphs for trout ANYWHERE:

Hare's ear (natural, olive, black)

Pheasant tails (same colors)

Prince nymph

I nymph probably 99% of the time, and one of these three are on the end of my tippet 99% of that time (hare's ear easily taking the top spot).

My most effective is also a royal wulff, it was his request, I'll still throw in a few but I think he just wants to start simple. Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Put an Ausable Bomber in there. I know it's technically a dry, but man, it's brookie kryptonite.

Picket Pin wet. Tied traditionally or with a few different color options can workout well.

Fran Betters Muskrat Nymph's are great on brookies

Ask about the streams though. A lot of small streams really need all non bead or non weighted flies. Just not enough water or current to require that.

Beyond those you can never go wrong with a nymph or soft hackle bead or not hares ear nymph or pheasant tail nymph.

Small Wooley Buggers in olive and black, brown and black, all pink and all white or white with griz hackle are great small stream flies too.

A hares ear soft hackle, Fontanalis Fin, leadwing coachman soft hackle, dark cahill, orange or yellow spiders are great options.

Mickey fin's and small muddlers in a variety of colors are also both great options.